The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Daniel Rion Clos de Vougeot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2000 Daniel Rion Clos de Vougeot

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:52 am

Seemed like a steal at $49 (Crush Wine Co.). Not lofty but decent vintage, supposedly drinking well now.

Cork in good shape. Strange initial odors from the bottle, metallic and lemony, soon dissipate and make way for mature red fruit and a slightly confusing note of cedar (that I habitually associate with left bank Bordeaux). Not intense.

First tasted minutes after opening (did not allow this to sit open for two hours, as I usually do). Classic brownish raspberry color. Strong burst of acidity in the mouth, overwhelming the fruit. Light and elegant tannins underneath. Some olive taste lingers in the mouth. Disappointment sets in.

Dinner is served: orecchiette with sausage and broccoli rabe. Becomes a very different wine as the food tames the acid. Fruit comes through more clearly, with some delicacy and complexity, with additional notes of tar, oak vanilla, and violets. After an hour, I conclude this lacks muscle and body for a grand cru, an absence insufficiently compensated in the subtlety department. For a mature grand cru, the deal seemed too good to be true, and I guess it was.

During my trip to Burgundy this February, I noticed how comparatively vast Clos de Vougeot is, with varying terrains, some right next to Musigny, some right by the road. Burgundy terroir seems so changeable, meter by meter, that quality within Clos de Vougeot must vary considerably.
Last edited by Oswaldo Costa on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 2000 Daniel Rion Clos de Vougeot

by Dale Williams » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:20 am

CdV is probably the GC most notorious for variability. Upper slope CdV can be very very good, most lower slope CdV maybe doesn't deserve GC status.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:25 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Dinner is served: orecchiette with sausage and broccoli rabe. Becomes a very different wine as the food tames the acid. Fruit comes through more clearly, with some delicacy and complexity, with additional notes of tar, oak vanilla, and violets. After an hour, I conclude this lacks muscle and body for a grand cru, an absence insufficiently compensated in the subtlety department. For a mature grand cru, the deal seemed too good to be true, and I guess it was.

Sorry to hear; I opened your note hoping to relive some of the stunning Rion CV's I've had. I'm struggling to recall vintages, but it was some time ago, and two of the late 80's vintages, a 90 and a 93 that we slaughtered too young at a dinner at Trouquet in Costa Mesa, CA. Don't blame you for being hopeful at $49.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:51 pm

Oswaldo,

The 1996 Jean Raphet CdV was excellent. I do not have a great deal of experience with CdV and was warned that the quality could be quite variable. We apparently got lucky with that one. My experience is that "luck" seems to play a role across most Burg producers, vineyards, and classifications.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:34 pm

It's worse with Clos de Vougeot. The original Cistercian monastic vineyard spanned the whole hillside, from top to bottom.

The top part abuts the other grands crus of the vicinity and fully merits its grand cru status. The middle part has premiers crus on either side of it and not surprisingly produces wine of that status. The very bottom, flat part has vineyards on the opposite side of the wall that don't even merit commune appellation status. Terroir doesn't recognize man-made walls.

The idiots who set up the classification system unfortunately chose to treat the whole original walled monastic vineyard as a single grand cru appellation, even though at best 1/4 of the land deserves that high a rating.

To make matters worse, there are something like 70 independent growers who own or lease plots in CdV. It makes quality control for the appellation impossible.

Even more than elsewhere in Burgundy, with Clos de Vougeot the producer's name is your only guide to quality. There are some really great wines produced there. And a lot of wines that give CdV a bad name.

-Paul W.