The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Resveratrol returns...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

Resveratrol returns...

by Dave Erickson » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:28 am

This morning's New York Times has a story on new research into the proposed life-lengthening properties of reseveratrol, a chemical found in red wine. I'm sure most of us remember the last time this one came around--whatever else it did, it boosted sales of red wine. But as far as I can tell, there really isn't anything new to be said, except one researcher who seems to think that far lower doses of resveratrol might be effective. Here's the quote (emphasis added):

....a research team led by Tomas A. Prolla and Richard Weindruch, of the University of Wisconsin, reports in the journal PLoS One on Wednesday that resveratrol may be effective in mice and people in much lower doses than previously thought necessary. In earlier studies, like Dr. Auwerx’s of mice on treadmills, the animals were fed such large amounts of resveratrol that to gain equivalent dosages people would have to drink more than 100 bottles of red wine a day.

The Wisconsin scientists used a dose on mice equivalent to just 35 bottles a day. But red wine contains many other resveratrol-like compounds that may also be beneficial. Taking these into account, as well as mice’s higher metabolic rate, a mere four, five-ounce glasses of wine “starts getting close” to the amount of resveratrol they found effective, Dr. Weindruch said.

Resveratrol can also be obtained in the form of capsules marketed by several companies. Those made by one company, Longevinex, include extracts of red wine and of a Chinese plant called giant knotweed. The Wisconsin researchers conclude that resveratrol can mimic many of the effects of a caloric-restricted diet “at doses that can readily be achieved in humans.”

The effectiveness of the low doses was not tested directly, however, but with a DNA chip that measures changes in the activity of genes.

Speaking as someone in the wine retailing business, I wish this stuff would go away. I want to sell wine, not medicine or health food, and I hope to deal with people who are interested principally in the aesthetics rather than the health-giving properties of wine. I have enough discomfort already with discussing the symptoms of sulfite sensitivity...
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Resveratrol returns...

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:44 am

Dave,
As a researcher with an interest in resveratrol, I can agree with almost all that you wrote. The case for resveratrol is strong, but it's not clear how much is needed and whether it'll work in pill form (there's some evidence that it won't). It's also far from clear that resveratrol is the principal source of the health benefits of drinking red wine. All that being said, there is far too much risk associated with alcohol consumption to be able to tout red wine, or any other alcoholic beverage, as a medicinal concoction with no reservations.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

D Honig

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:57 pm

Indianapolis, IN

by D Honig » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:58 pm

I wrote a bit about Resveratrol, "Big Pharma," and orphan drugs HERE.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:23 pm

Don't you think this whole resveratrol issue resonates on our love of feeble irony?
It's so cute that something Temperance Union members discredit has a redeeming element; even though there is not enough of it in the amount of wine you would drink to do you any good. And any more wine than three glasses a day is worse for you than drinking none, as everybody knows.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:51 am

Covert wrote:Don't you think this whole resveratrol issue resonates on our love of feeble irony?
It's so cute that something Temperance Union members discredit has a redeeming element; even though there is not enough of it in the amount of wine you would drink to do you any good. And any more wine than three glasses a day is worse for you than drinking none, as everybody knows.

It is pretty funny. Pending further developments, I think the present argument is that you can extend your life with resveratrol through alcohol poisoning.

More than three glasses a day is bad for you? Really? I'm surprised I'm not dead already.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:53 am

D Honig wrote:I wrote a bit about Resveratrol, "Big Pharma," and orphan drugs HERE.

Thanks for the link. I've been reading your blog for some time now--it's very good!