The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Burrowing Owl Cab Franc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2002 Burrowing Owl Cab Franc

by Jenise » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:01 pm

Last night, I had decanted an 05 Bordeaux I had wanted to try but which was still so grapey at dinner time neither of us would touch it, so I pulled this bottle of British Columbian cab franc out of the cellar to accompany beef stroganoff pumped full of fresh herbs: parsley, oregano, thyme and rosemary. This wine is typical of Burrowing Owl's signature muscular, big-oak style, and in fact at first taste all you taste is wood. The wine seems fruitless until you stick a bite of food in your mouth. Then it's full of complex sweet black fruit, blackberry and black currant the most prevalent here, and lots of savory notes including all the herbs in our dish. A second sip shows less, and the sip after that is again fruitless and woody. The wine seems tired. But then a new bite of food brings it all back.

I have no idea where it's headed from here, but if I were a betting woman I'd bet on it having peaked. Anyone else have one of these lately? Bill?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

rumpole

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:16 pm

Washington State

Re: WTN: 2002 Burrowing Owl Cab Franc

by rumpole » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:54 pm

Jenise,

I have one of these, but have been saving it. It sounds like you suggest I get to it soon. I will and will let you know.
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:49 pm

Uh Oh...I've got two or three of these from our trip up there. I'd better pull one and put it in the lineup for weekend wines. Cellartracker gives it a drinking window of 2006-11.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:55 pm

Interesting response from one and all. Am thinking maybe I should get out the corkscrew for the `02 I have here, plus the `03 Syrah.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:42 am

Ines Nyby wrote:Uh Oh...I've got two or three of these from our trip up there. I'd better pull one and put it in the lineup for weekend wines. Cellartracker gives it a drinking window of 2006-11.

Ines, I'm sure you have the 03's, not the 02. But still, would definitely be about time to try one.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov