The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Fevre and Gattinara at Stone Barns

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

Fevre and Gattinara at Stone Barns

by Jacques Levy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:17 pm

A dinner at Blue Hill at Stone Barns is always an event, this time we were four to try the new spring tasting menu. Some amuse, a crab dish in some rhubarb and tapioca cold sauce,a soft cooked deep fried egg!!!!!, an incredible potato gnocchi, and a lamb thee way (shoulder, loin and sausage). The food was extraordinary; inventive, focused, layered, light all with impeccable flavors and some of the technique left us making orgasmic sounds. As good as Per Se for me.

The wines:
2004 William Fevre Chablis Fourchaume; crisp steely and focused. Still a bit young but very intense and the acidity works very well with the crab.
2001 Antoniolo Gattinara Vigneto Castelle; smells great and is more open for business than I imagine. I can't discern any oak, but I do get huge violets, a bit rustic, the wine is dusty on the attack with a bitterness on the finish that complements rather than take over the taste of the food. Very good.

An incredible fest for a foodie with a great service to go with it.
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Fevre and Gattinara at Stone Barns

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:37 am

thanks for the notes. Mark was ragging on BH@SB Monday, saying they had oversalted everything. Glad it seems like that was a one-off event, and kitchen on track.
I bought several '02/05 Fevre, somehow missed '04.
Antoniolo is a new producer to me, the only Gattinara I know is Travaglini with the odd bottles.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:52 am

Dale Williams wrote:Antoniolo is a new producer to me, the only Gattinara I know is Travaglini with the odd bottles.

I'm not familiar with Antoniolo either, but in my market there's Nervi, which usually offers better value than Travaglini
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

by Jacques Levy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:34 am

Dale Williams wrote:thanks for the notes. Mark was ragging on BH@SB Monday, saying they had oversalted everything. Glad it seems like that was a one-off event, and kitchen on track.

Dale, this was one of the best meals of my life!!!
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:20 pm

Antoniolo Gattinara was my "epiphany" wine in the late 70s, when I was in my early 20s. I was studying in Boston and met up with my Confirmation (Catholic equivalent to Bar Mitzvah) godfather on one of his trips to New York. He was of Italian descent and took me to dinner at Giambelli's, and old line Italian restaurant in midtown that still exists, though I imagine it has seen better days. My godfather ordered a bottle of Antoniolo Gattinara (no idea what vintage). Up to that point I had been completely indifferent to wine, and this was my first encounter with "hmm, there's something going on here that is more than meets the tongue."
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:24 am