The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: pleasure from good-not-great wines (Mosel, Burg)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: pleasure from good-not-great wines (Mosel, Burg)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:31 am

Tuesday we had a couple of very ripe mangoes, Betsy was planning on doing a Ming Tsai recipe of spicy shrimp with mango and snow peas. But a package arrived with 2 live lobsters (a thank you for babysitting last week). So she just converted the recipe. With the sambal olek in the dish I felt some residual sugar was needed, and opened the 2001 Meulenhof Erdener Treppchen Riesling Spätlese. Pretty open and ready, fairly sweet but with that '01 acidic spine. Lots of primary peach flavors, a little petrol and slate. Perfect wine for the dish, handles the heat but rich enough for lobster. Not the most complex Riesling, but satisfying for what it is. B

Yesterday's NYT has an article by Eric Asimov on Burgundy, with a couple of Ma Cuisine recipes as accompaniment. Betsy decided to do the spiced game hens. A very nice dish, though Betsy questioned the timing from beginning, and it clearly isn't enough at 400°F to cook the birds through. After the adjustments, we sat down to the birds with barley and a garlicky spinach salad. I had found the 2005 Domaine Bart "Les Champs Salomon" Marsannay tight and tart at opening a bit before. It fleshed out a bit, and offering a nice accompaniment to the dinner. Rather big cherry fruit, strong acids,light but persistent tannins. A hint of damp earth and mushrooms with time. This never truly grabbed me, but it went well with the dish and certainly was a solid bottle of Marsannay. My guess is a few years would do it good. For today, B.

So 2 good but not great wines provided a lot of pleasure, as they really went well with the dishes. Wine need not be great. :)

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: pleasure from good-not-great wines (Mosel, Burg)

by JC (NC) » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:14 pm

Do you remember the price on the Marsannay? As a 2005 Burgundy it probably didn't fit the "bargain Burgundy" limits but sounds worthwhile.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: pleasure from good-not-great wines (Mosel, Burg)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:21 pm

pretty sure that it was $20