The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Best New Napa Wineries?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ben Tex

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue May 20, 2008 10:25 pm

Best New Napa Wineries?

by Ben Tex » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:43 pm

I'm headed to the bay area in a couple of weeks for the first time in a year. I'll be spending a day in Napa and was wondering what suggestions any of you might have for visiting wineries I may not have seen or known about the past few years. We moved away from there in 2001, so anything new since then would be a possibility. Thanks in advance! If it matters, I prefer reds.

Ben
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Best New Napa Wineries?

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:56 pm

Ben Tex wrote:I'm headed to the bay area in a couple of weeks for the first time in a year. I'll be spending a day in Napa and was wondering what suggestions any of you might have for visiting wineries I may not have seen or known about the past few years. We moved away from there in 2001, so anything new since then would be a possibility. Thanks in advance! If it matters, I prefer reds.

Ben, I don't know if they're quite that new, but I've been enjoying Rocca Family Vineyards wines quite a bit.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:12 pm

I am an avid (although slow and fat) bicyclists, so I enjoy exploring the valley on two wheels. Busy traffic, but good shoulders. Here are a few I might suggest, depending on where in the valley you are heading:

Alpha-Omega (north of the Rutherford Crossroads off Mee Lane): Brand new-second vintage. Outstanding French winemaker with a delicious rich, ripe, New World style yet balanced with great acidity Chardonnay and a very good "Bordeaux blend" that I think they have nailed solid for two vintages now.

Elizabeth Spencer: in Rutherford on Rutherford Road (the cute, tiny, old brick post office is the tasting room) Great people-very friendly and accomodating. New "negociant" winery with a diverse portfolio of wines red and white. Their E/S Syrah is killer cool climate Syrah with a nice dry peppery/meaty character and they make some killer Chardonnays and a very minerally Menodcino Sauvignon Blanc.

Silenus New custom crush/group winery just south of Yountville on the west side frontage road that parallels Hwy 29. Good range of producers, very friendly staff, big fluffy Golden Retriever. Some of the "star" producers include Ramien (outstanding Mount Veeder Cabernets), Renard (great Central Coast Syrah)

Girard Girard has a brand new tasting room at the very northern end of Yountville. I know they are an old label, but this is a new tasting room and reflects the "new" direction of the winery to focus on Pritchard Hill. I really liked their lineup-Micheal de Giulio is a talented winemaker, in my limited experience, and their Artistry Bordeaux Blend is a lovely, juicy, but balanced Cab-based wine that has some nice complexity and savory notes.

Bighorn Cellars (weekends only)-located in the former Silverado Cellars winery at the far southern end of Silverado Trail. They poured a very nice, elegant, balanced 2001 Cabernet from Coombsville that I really enjoyed.

Cena Winery also has a new tasting room in downtown Napa. Near the new Oxbow Market, I would also recommend Mason Cellar on First Street for their, imo, balanced and elagant Sauvignon Blanc. Michael Mondavi has a new micro-winery and tasting bar/bistro in the Oxbow Market. AND Ferry Plaza Wine Merchants have opened up a new Wine Bar and Cheese Shop in the Oxbow Market. finally, right around the corner from Oxbow is the new location of JV Wines and Spirits, with a tasting room and a great selection of wines.

Good luck, and have a good time!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:08 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ben Tex wrote:I'm headed to the bay area in a couple of weeks for the first time in a year. I'll be spending a day in Napa and was wondering what suggestions any of you might have for visiting wineries I may not have seen or known about the past few years. We moved away from there in 2001, so anything new since then would be a possibility. Thanks in advance! If it matters, I prefer reds.

Ben, I don't know if they're quite that new, but I've been enjoying Rocca Family Vineyards wines quite a bit.

Rocca's actually been around for more than a few years now and with Celia (of Scarecrow fame) working with them from the beginning, they are starting to get some attention. I've met the family a few times and they are nice people. The husband was a dentist I think and wanted something different. i've always liked their Syrahs the best and their cabs are nice. Their blended red called Big Bad Red (I think...) has a picture of a cowboy on it that made it quite the gift amongst the ladies to which it was targeted...and the men......Nice wines for decent prices.

Also new wineries do not mean that you can visit them. Something about the licenses being limited to only so many that can serve onsite....

On I-29...maybe Alpha Omega..

Del Dotto Wine Gallery has moved into the wine region from its Napa city location

Then there is that massive (disneyland like) Castello di Amorosa from V. Sattui's owner (personally not a favorite of mine but many people go)

Then there is the renovated Groth, Silver Oak construction is not complete yet....

I can't think of any more....