The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lemelson Oregon Pinot Noir vs NZ's Mt Difficulty

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

WTN: Lemelson Oregon Pinot Noir vs NZ's Mt Difficulty

by Peter May » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:54 pm

Our wine tasting club was scheduled to have a tasting from a major NZ winery who then cancelled at short notice. In the past 30 years of the club this has happened so rarely that we don’t have a practised back up plan. However, one of the committee decided it’d be fun to present a New Zealand versus the Rest of The World.

There was a cricket theme, with all present able to award a ‘run’ for the home team or the visitors after each pair.

The varieties were Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir and Syrah from the home team NZ against the same variety from another country. The visitors were a Chablis, a Argentine SB, an Oregon PN and an Australian Shiraz and as far as possible, prices were matched.

Lemelson ‘Theas Selection’ Pinot Noir 2005 from Oregon represented the USA, matched against a tough opponent, Mt Difficulty Pinot Noir 2006 from Central Otago.

All but one of the NZs were closed with a screwcap – and when you’re opening 40 bottles in an evening you really appreciate screwcaps. I was tasked with opening the cork closed bottles before we started and checking for TCA. My initial sniff of the Lemelson made me think I’d opened a Syrah by mistake….

Lemelson ‘Theas Selection’ Pinot Noir 2005 Oregon 13.5%abv
£19

Very dark colour, mint and dark chocolate, ripe & rich, more like a Syrah than PN (which is maybe why I like it), thick and rather syrupy.

Mt Difficulty Pinot Noir 2006 Central Otago
£19.99

This is like a sparer, austere version of the Lemelson, but then there’s an acidic tannic finish and some hot alcohol burn on the finish

My run went to the US, and it scored 39 runs against 16. But this was the only win for the visitors. New Zealand won the match by a close margin
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Lemelson Oregon Pinot Noir vs NZ's Mt Difficulty

by Jenise » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:09 pm

Fun theme. So if somebody tips their glass, is that an 'over'?

But the Lemelson. I have a bottle in the cellar I eye with suspicion from time to time, because the two Lemelsons I've tasted have been real bruisers just like you describe. I'm holding mine thinking age will be kind to it.

I'm interested in your comment though that the syrah-ness is why you like it. Knowing your love of pinotage, that seems counter intuitive to me. You don't care for pinot noir as a rule?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ray Juskiewicz

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Seattle

by Ray Juskiewicz » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:55 pm

Jenise: Have you ever been to Lemelson and met Eric? He's quite the character. The Thea's is the least serious and most fruit forward of the Lemelson's to me. A Jerome or Meyer is usually more complex.

I've come to the conclusion that the 2005 Oregon PN's, probably due to the cool fall, will need a little more time lying down than usual and probably decanting. I expect to be drinking my 06's before the 05's.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:23 pm

Jenise wrote: I'm interested in your comment though that the syrah-ness is why you like it. Knowing your love of pinotage, that seems counter intuitive to me. You don't care for pinot noir as a rule?

Pinot Noir is good in Champagne.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:32 am

Peter May wrote:Our wine tasting club was scheduled to have a tasting from a major NZ winery who then cancelled at short notice. In the past 30 years of the club this has happened so rarely that we don’t have a practised back up plan. However, one of the committee decided it’d be fun to present a New Zealand versus the Rest of The World.

There was a cricket theme, with all present able to award a ‘run’ for the home team or the visitors after each pair.

Hmmm, I don't think cricket is a good theme for the Kiwis. They might have to follow on. Perhaps your way is the way they should play all their matches because it doesn't matter how close the margin is, as long as it is a win, which doesn't seem the be the way the current test is going. (Sorry if this is too much cricket lingo for non cricket players).