The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bueker, Maxwell, London, Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Bueker, Maxwell, London, Wine

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:32 pm

As timing would have it, I arrived for my summer in London at the same time David Bueker was coming through town for work. So, we could finally meet in person over dinner.

I had just come from Germany, with a six pack of 2006 Gutsverwaltung Niederhausen Schlossböckelheim Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Kabinett Trocken that had been given to me by my in-laws. I didn’t know what to expect but I was more than pleasantly surprised, with firm minerally fuit, a lively twang, and much more life than I expected. I liked it better than the 2002 Clemens Busch Pündericher Marienburg „Weissenberg“ Riesling Spätlese, for which I had higher hopes, but which showed a bit dull. The Clemens Busch got better with air, and had some nice spicy fading/maturing/mellowing spätlese notes. But the package didn’t sing, or even whisper. At least tonight.

We were both curious about the 2001 Chandon de Briailles Pernand-Vergelesses „Ile des Vergelesses“ and luckily it showed pretty well from the opening. Clear crisp IdV fruit that went well with David’s roasted chicken (or so I was told) and tasted even better once we got the staff to bring us the nice glasses they had been hiding all night. Lovely wine that probably has a lot more complexity to develop, but, which has some seductive deep clear and crisp elements to enjoy right now.

On David’s paths through London he picked up a bottle of 2005 Huet Vouvray Le Haut Lieu Moelleux that we were not unhappy to drink. It was not closed or in a particularly „difficult“ stage, although it clearly has a long future of development ahead of it. It was very well-balanced, with all the right pieces, and even though it didn’t scream expressiveness, it was good fun. And I’m definitely happy to have the rest of the bottle sitting in my refrigerator for future evaluation...
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: Bueker, Maxwell, London, Wine

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:14 am

Rahsaan wrote:2006 Gutsverwaltung Niederhausen Schlossböckelheim Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Kabinett Trocken

Sounds like a fun and pleasureable evening but, jeez, no wonder German wine has a problem marketing in other languages...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:20 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:jeez, no wonder German wine has a problem marketing in other languages...

Actually, I gave the short version. It was a "special wine" for the 2008 Haus Seefahrt Schaffermahlzeit in Bremen. Although David confirmed my suspicions that this "special wine" only means that they slapped a sticker on the back of the bottle for the Schaffermahlzeit, and the actual wine is the same as non-Schaffermahlzeit designated NH kabinett trockens.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:49 pm

Oswaldo, and after drinking a few glasses, it doesn't get any easier to pronounce either!!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:03 pm

Just back from my flights. I had tried to post a response from my Blackberry while I waited to board my plane in London, but it vanished into the ether.

First off it was great to finally meet Rahsaan in person. As has become typical in this wonderful hobby he was great company, and I really enjoyed talking. The roast chicken was darned good too.

As for the wines, I also enjoyed the trocken. It was slightly propped up by some trapped CO2, giving it a touch of refreshing spirtz, and it was likely not the most trocken of trockens, but the balance was nice, and it made a fine aperitif.

The Clemens Busch was interesting, but I actually found it hollow in the mid-palate. I don't have enough experience with the producer to make any definitive judgements, but I don't yet understand the hype.

The Chandon de Briailles was perfumed and well balanced, but really had not developed at all. Still ever so young. I wish I had bought some when it was available (for a long time) near me, but alas I will console myself with the 2005.

The Huet was excellent, but I didn't find it any more engaging than the demi-sec version. I suppose I really need to wait 40 years to make a judgement, but I think I will stick with the Sec and Demi-Sec versions for now and save a few well-earned dollars.

Most importantly though, it was a fun evening because of sharing a meal with a fantastic person. I hope we can have dinner again some time soon.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:21 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:...and I really enjoyed talking.

Next up, listening skills. :twisted:
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:12 pm

Redwinger wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:...and I really enjoyed talking.

Next up, listening skills. :twisted:
Redwinger

Why?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:56 pm

On day 2 the Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle is still tasty and mineral, but losing some of its flesh and zip from the first night. I had hopes that somehow something might emerge from the Clemens Busch on day 2, but, alas, it is also losing whatever steam it possessed on day 1. The Huet has lots of nice things going on, firm fruit, firm acids, poise, minerality, etc, etc, but it feels a little reticent and subdued and probably needs to rest.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:07 pm

Yes, it was great to meet David after all these years of posting on similar wines. I look forward to more such events.

Interesting comment on the Huet. I don't have extensive experience with the 05s, but, I can see how the demi-sec and sec might be more compelling when price is considered, at least given the performance of this bottle. Of course in an ideal world, they would all be stocked for future evaluation. But, life is not always ideal :cry:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:41 am

Rahsaan wrote:On day 2 the Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle is still tasty and mineral, but losing some of its flesh and zip from the first night.

A loss of trapped CO2 = likely telling. Also means the others should be consumed in a few years time,
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:31 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Also means the others should be consumed in a few years time,

Point well taken.

Although I had planned to finish the bottles this summer anyway, what with all my logistical moving issues.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:38 pm

Rahsaan, great to hear you are back in London. RSJ beckons I guess.
No doubt you will be seeing Nicos!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:27 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:No doubt you will be seeing Nicos!

Yes, at some point. He would have come to this dinner, but he was off galavanting somewhere else in the world..
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:42 am

David Bueker said:

"I had tried to post a response from my Blackberry while I waited to board my plane in London, but it vanished into the ether."

I'm glad only the posting vanished into the ether and not the plane you were boarding or London.

(the sometimes English teacher comes out)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:37 pm

JC (NC) wrote:David Bueker said:

"I had tried to post a response from my Blackberry while I waited to board my plane in London, but it vanished into the ether."

I'm glad only the posting vanished into the ether and not the plane you were boarding or London.

(the sometimes English teacher comes out)

You didn't read about it on CNN?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:58 pm

Rahsaan said:
in-laws

You're married now? Congratulations.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:57 pm

Jenise wrote:Rahsaan said:
in-laws

Thanks. It's been a two-part affair, in January we had the civil ceremony to start the visa paperwork (she's German), and now we're planning the church wedding and the party for July. Actually, she and her mother are planning the wedding and the party, and I'm just trying to get my choices in for the wine. Will see if I have any luck :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:56 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Jenise wrote:Rahsaan said:
in-laws

Thanks. It's been a two-part affair, in January we had the civil ceremony to start the visa paperwork (she's German), and now we're planning the church wedding and the party for July. Actually, she and her mother are planning the wedding and the party, and I'm just trying to get my choices in for the wine. Will see if I have any luck :D

Fantastic! Will the church ceremony be in Germany or London?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:10 am

Jenise wrote:Fantastic! Will the church ceremony be in Germany

Germany. Everything is in Germany.