The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '90 Cuvée du Papet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

WTN: '90 Cuvée du Papet

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:50 pm

Tonight, to celebrate my birthday, Jean cooked a meal of applewood-smoked pheasant with roasted potatoes and asparagus. To accompany the bird, I opened:

1990 Clos du Mont-Olivet Cuvée du Papet
color: dark garnet with brick at the rim
nose: kirsch, game, mineral, licorice, alcohol
palate: medium body, good acidity, fruity, balanced

Chosen as a wine to accompany smoked game bird, this wine perfomed admirably, scoring a clean 4 on the Hoare scale of food/wine pairings. Still young, it displayed few signs of the hot vintage (no roasted/pruney fruit character) and had great acidity. Given a lofty 98+ by Parker at its release and bought for $26.95, this was one of the first wines purchased at Sam's after our move to Indiana. My only complaint would be at the difficulty in getting through the %^^&%$#^&%&* wax capsule.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: '90 Cuvée du Papet

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:08 am

Happy birthday, Mark! A fitting wine for the occasion.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: '90 Cuvée du Papet

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:16 am

Mark Lipton wrote:Given a lofty 98+ by Parker at its release and bought for $26.95..

Yes, Happy Birthday, and it sounds like you did very well by some sort of Parker Point to Price formula :D

Someone somewhere would be very proud of that ratio, but the best thing for us is that it all sounds delicious!