The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Kuehn (CV Ingersheim) Gewurztraminer GC Florimont 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

WTN: Kuehn (CV Ingersheim) Gewurztraminer GC Florimont 2005

by Bill Hooper » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:36 pm

This vineyard was one of the last 3 (of 51) to be ascended to Grand Cru status in Alsace and is this year (2008) enjoying its 20th anniversary among the elite. If the Kuehn label can be any indication of the quality of the vineyard (and as one of the largest landholders of this ‘Gewurz’ heavy growth, it should be), then Alsace is in even greater need of a PC/GC reclassification than anyone thought. Ripe and generous melon and peach fruit (even kiwi), smoky (ever burn potpourri?) flowers, and fresh fig. It is pretty well balanced, just a touch too much heat and I’m conflicted as to whether or not the alcohol actually benefits the sweetness or just nudges it over the edge of my threshold. I will say that it actually wet my whistle a little bit for Gewurztraminer (It’s been far too long since I tasted a great one) and I’m excited to buy a few soon as it really can be a wonderful wine and gets too little play at my house. But overall this wine should never be labeled Grand Cru. Premier Cru; sure, even from a Co-op… 13% alc, $gift
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com