The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

[WTN] Weekend Whites - Fiano & Viognier

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

[WTN] Weekend Whites - Fiano & Viognier

by MattThr » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:21 pm

Been a good weekend ... and since the weather is fine, white is on the cards.

Fontalta 2007 Fiano (Sicily)

I bought this in a pub, for no other reason than I'd never heard of the grape before. I'd been planning to drink beer since pub wine can be rather dodgy. Does that make me a wine geek? ;)

The wine is extraordinarily pale, and has a strange, sharp smell reminiscent of fermenting apples.

On the palate the predominant flavours are very ripe apples and pears garnished with a note of mint. The wine has a creamy texture and a refreshing acidity which balances nicely with the sweetness of the fruit. The honeyed notes drop off toward the finish which is clean, and strikingly acidic with flavours of grapefruit. Very unusual and a very nice wine for cooling down on a hot day. 4/5.

Bogle 2005 Viognier

Bought in the New Year sale at my local wine store.

The wine is slightly golden and - oddly - slightly cloudy. It smells not unlike peach schnapps with up-front fruit and alcohol with slight vegetable notes.

The flavour is a succulent mouthful of plump peach, apricot and pineapple followed by a hot burst of perfumed and exotic spice. The wine is rich, mouth-filling and creamy tailing off into a slightly odd finish with those vegetable notes coming through again. I've had slightly insipid European Vigonier before, but this new world stuff really seems to show the grape to it's full potential, resulting in an really good wine with balanced fruit, acid and complexity. 5/5
Last edited by MattThr on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: [WTN] Weekend Whites - Finao & Viognier

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:32 pm

Thanks for the notes, Matt!

Do you by any chance remember the alcohol level on the Bogle?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:57 am

I'm guessing 16% :twisted: :twisted:

Interesting that Bogle makes it over the pond!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

by MattThr » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:16 am

Sorry, it's 14.5%! Don't know why the alcohol came through so strongly - perhaps the wine was over-chilled, reducing the fruit aromas and making it more prominent. It has been in the fridge for a goodly while.