The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Clos Du Val 1996 Napa Valley

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Clos Du Val 1996 Napa Valley

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:55 am

From the winery storage to my wine refrigerator, so good storage history!

With Joe and Donna and their trust grill. New York Steaks with a nice peppery rub.

Opened and allowed to semi-breathe through the bottle neck for an hour or so.

Inky in color with no real sign of bricking. A ruby rim. Plenty of lovely cassis and tobacco on the nose.

The first few sips were amazingly primary. Beautiful Stags Leap red cherry fruit and red currant with an underpinning of tobacco. As the wine breathed over the evening, the primary fruit became less dominant, and the underpinnings of tobacco and sage and leather came to the fore. The fruit doesn't die off by any means-it is still there in spades, but the adolescent lovelyness of the other flavors comes to the forefront! Very smooth, but there is still some good acidity.

Although this is the "basic bottling," this cab has held up very well and really worked well with the steaks. More elegant and lighter in body than the Heitz, which may also have been a little more complex, but I still could drink this beauty any time./ A beautiful Napa Cabernet.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Clos Du Val 1996 Napa Valley

by Jenise » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:11 pm

In good years the basic Clos du Val is one of California's best values. At least for those of us who prefer more traditional wines. They sometimes show up at rock bottom prices at auction because point-counters scramble right past them, and I can never resist.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:27 pm

I have been disapointed with a number of the more ...... er.... acclaimed wines of the 1996 vintage. Nice to read that some of the lesser sought after wines seem to have held up much better.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:43 pm

I was actually quite surprised at how bold and big (yet balanced and elegant) the wine was, Brian G. No signs of fading at all. Especially given that this was probably a $20 wine!

I know it's all part of the show for the tourists :twisted: but the gentleman at the winery tasting presented the wine like it was very fragile. He recommended no decanting, for example. My bottle could have withstood decanting EASILY! :)

Maybe 13.5% alcohol is one factor in longevity?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach