The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cal PN, Loire CF, and a Ruche

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Cal PN, Loire CF, and a Ruche

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:49 am

Steamy day in NY, we invited some friends and their standard poodle over for dinner and bones (the latter for the dogs). I ventured out into the sauna to grill some pork chops with sage, Nancy brought a grain salad, and Betsy made a green salad and cut up some melon. We started with leftover rosés, but after we settled into dinner we switched to reds, as they are mostly red people.

2005 Copain "l'Automne" Pinot Noir (Anderson Valley)
This appealed to me less than last time I tried. Bright, lighter style, definitely not over the top stylistically. But the acidity now seems just a little prickly, and there is that cola note I never like in PN. Other like more than I. B-

2006 Catherine et Pierre Breton "Trinch!" Bourgueil
Black raspberries and cherries, tobacco, earth. Juicy but with some structure, good length for level, clean finish. WOTN for me. B+

2006 Cascina Tavijn Ruchè di Castagnole Monferrato
High acidity, light tannins. Very floral nose (though Ron calls it musky, certainly perfumed) , cherries, a little pepper. This suffers from coming after the food, needs to be a dinner wine. B

Thank goodness for AC.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.