The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Texier CotesDuRhone Brezeme '99...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Texier CotesDuRhone Brezeme '99...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:38 am

Tasted this last night w/ my arugula/salami/Bubulis mazzo/aioli/romanesca sauce samwich:
1. EricTexier AC: Cotes du Rhone Brezeme VieillesVignes (12.5%; NonFiltre) 1999: Very dark color w/ slight bricking; somewhat mousy/funky slight roasted/smokey rather green olive/black olive tapenade/underripe Syrah interesting rather NorthernRhonish Syrah nose; very tart/searing acid quite green olive/black olive tapenade rather roasted/pungent/smokey/NorthernRhonish slight blackberry/Syrah lean/minerally some funky/earthy rather interesting flavoe; long searing acid/screechy leant/tannic/minerally green olive/tapenade finish; some funky elements but very interesting Syrah. $23.00
This wine has always had a searing acidity, even screechy, to it that made me think it would age into something great. "Great" hasen't happened yet, but it yet may down the road. But it is, nonetheless, a very unique and interesting wine that speaks far/far more of the NorthernRhone than CotesDuRhone. By the next morning in the decanter, the funky/mousey elements had all disappeared, leaving this intense black olive tapenade quite smokey/pungent character.
As I recall, the wine is 100% Syrah from old vines; unusual for the SouthernRhone.
Everett: Who is importing Eric's wines these days??
Tom
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Texier CotesDuRhone Brezeme '99...(short/boring)

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:44 am

TomHill wrote:speaks far/far more of the NorthernRhone than CotesDuRhone...As I recall, the wine is 100% Syrah from old vines; unusual for the SouthernRhone.

Cotes du Rhone and 100% Syrah are not mutually exclusive. Brezeme is in the Northern Rhone (18km south of Valence).

Clape and Jamet (among others) also have 100% syrahs from the Northern Rhone.

Who is importing Eric's wines these days??

Dressner. I don't know who else.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:07 pm

Joe also imports another Brezeme from Domaine de Pergault. Bought an 05 last week to try but haven't yet. Anyone else have/know anything about this wine?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:09 pm

Actualy I think the Pergault is also a Texier wine, a single vineyard old vines.
I'm usually a fan of acidic wines, but I found the '99 Brezeme too much for me.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:52 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Actualy I think the Pergault is also a Texier wine, a single vineyard old vines.

Really? Actually, I picked up the bottle because I associate Brezeme with Texier and hoped it would be the Texier. But his name is nowhere on the bottle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Jenise wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:Actualy I think the Pergault is also a Texier wine, a single vineyard old vines.

Really? Actually, I picked up the bottle because I associate Brezeme with Texier and hoped it would be the Texier. But his name is nowhere on the bottle.

That must be a new thing. Texier makes a Brézème VV from the Dom. de Pergault. The bottles I've seen have both names visible, but that must have changed.

Mark Lipton

[Added in edit: take a look at the label on Cellatracker's site and see if it matches yours. If so, look inside the small circle for Eric Texier's name]
Last edited by Mark Lipton on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:04 pm

Mark--thanks for the nudge. I *do* have the Texier--completely missed the little circle.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:38 pm

TomHill wrote:Tasted this last night w/ my arugula/salami/Bubulis mazzo/aioli/romanesca sauce samwich:
1. EricTexier AC: Cotes du Rhone Brezeme VieillesVignes (12.5%; NonFiltre) 1999: Very dark color w/ slight bricking; somewhat mousy/funky slight roasted/smokey rather green olive/black olive tapenade/underripe Syrah interesting rather NorthernRhonish Syrah nose; very tart/searing acid quite green olive/black olive tapenade rather roasted/pungent/smokey/NorthernRhonish slight blackberry/Syrah lean/minerally some funky/earthy rather interesting flavoe; long searing acid/screechy leant/tannic/minerally green olive/tapenade finish; some funky elements but very interesting Syrah. $23.00
This wine has always had a searing acidity, even screechy, to it that made me think it would age into something great. "Great" hasen't happened yet, but it yet may down the road. But it is, nonetheless, a very unique and interesting wine that speaks far/far more of the NorthernRhone than CotesDuRhone. By the next morning in the decanter, the funky/mousey elements had all disappeared, leaving this intense black olive tapenade quite smokey/pungent character.
As I recall, the wine is 100% Syrah from old vines; unusual for the SouthernRhone.
Everett: Who is importing Eric's wines these days??
Tom

Tom, your title includes "Short/boring" At first I thought that might be the description of the wine. Haven't had many of these, but have some, and never yet found one that I could drink.
Bob Henrick