The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Vinexpo Day 3 - Bott-Geyl and other from the floor

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Vinexpo Day 3 - Bott-Geyl and other from the floor

by Jay Labrador » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:03 am

Walking around Vinexpo on the last day, one of the producers we zeroed on was Bott-Geyl. We were fortunate to get a taste of their top wines.

Bott-Geyl Grafenreben de Zellenberg Riesling 2005 - Lots of lemon and minerality. Steely wine. Not a style I like but I suppose a good expression of the terroir.

Bott-Geyl Les Elements Pinot Gris 2005 - Smoky, sweet and easy. Very good

Bott-Geyl Sonnenglanz Grand Cru Gewurztraminer 2004 - Lots of lychee. Gentle. Elegant. Sweet lychee Extremely long. Good complexity. Excellent.

Bott-Geyl Sonnenglanz Grand Cru Gewurztraminer 2003 - Rather baked fruit nose. Very sweet and a bit heavy on the finish. Clumsy compared to the 2004 but still, very good.

Bott-Geyl Sonnenglanz Grand Cru Pinot Gris Vendanges Tardives 2001 - Rich, long, very good. I can't recall why I didn't make a more complete note on this wine. I do remember liking it a lot.

After Bott-Geyl, we were racing around the floor trying to get as many tastings as possible before the show closed. Other notable wines we tried were Kopke ports and especially their wonderful Colheitas. We were also fortunate enough to meet Victor Diel of Schlossgut Diel who was at the show only for half a day. We wre able to taste many of his wines including the red "Caroline" and white "Victor" which, he says, are considered cult wines in Germany. While I wasn't too crazy about the cult wines, I thought the classic Rieslings were very good. Lastly, we hung around the Fontanafredda booth for the dregs of their Barolos, Barberas and a really good Moscato d'Asti.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.