The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

"Ducing" it out or "Copping" a plea

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

"Ducing" it out or "Copping" a plea

by JC (NC) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:25 pm

In the past I have enjoyed the food at Carrabba's Italian Grill, especially the Pollo Rosa Maria, and thought it was better than most chain restaurants. Last night's experience makes me wonder.

I was waited on by a young blonde fresh-faced girl who was obviously somewhat "green" as a waitress or waitperson. I ordered the small portion of zucchini fritti as an appetizer and the beef brosato (braised) as the main dish. I also ordered a quartino (quarter liter I believe) of Chianti Classico Riserva Ruffino Ducale. She even repeated after me "Chianti Classico Ruffino Ducale."

She brought calamari instead of the zucchini fritti and so I had to wait an exceptionally long time for the appetizer. She also messed up the salad orders of the table next to me and couldn't tell them what kind of vinaigrette was available (the lady wanted balsamic vinaigrette.)

Finally got my appetizer only to discover that she had brought me Coppola Claret in place of the Chianti Classico. This after repeating the name of the wine after me! Her apology: Well they're the same thing only one is from California and one is from Italy!! I said "No they are not the same thing! They are even from diffent grapes. The Chianti is with the Sangiovese grape." She then informed me that the Chianti Classico is only sold by the bottle, not the glass or quartino so she thought I must want the wine listed below it and she isn't 21 so doesn't drink wine herself and so is unfamiliar with the winelist. Lovely!

She also touched me on the arm or shoulder at least three times during the meal and called me "sweetheart" at least twice (others here usually say Ma'am.) I tipped less than 10% unlike my normal 20% and will write a letter to the management suggesting they train their staff a bit better (or recruit better in their hiring.)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: "Ducing" it out or "Copping" a plea

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:51 pm

Grrr. I hate that sort of thing.

DO NOT touch me or call me by a familiar name, or your tip evaporates. And DO NOT make excuses for why you screwed up my order. Apologize and immediately proceed to get it right.

I agree, letter to management definitely called for.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:08 pm

I eat at Carrabba's when alone onthe road quite a lot. Usually my experience is quite good. Hopefully (and I really believe so) your experience was due to an untrained and perhaps unqualified server.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:22 pm

I'm surprised to read that minors are able to serve alcohol. I'm fairly sure that wouldn't be legal here or in California (where I've also lived).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:42 pm

I think most states allow 18 year olds to serve alcohol as a waitress or waiter, but not as a bartender. Usually the requirement is there be a "supervisor" (bartender or manager) watching over things.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:44 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm surprised to read that minors are able to serve alcohol. I'm fairly sure that wouldn't be legal here or in California (where I've also lived).

Well, being under 21 does not necessarily make one a minor.

The age to serve alcohol is 18 in most states and the age to pour (think a bartender mixing drinks) is 21.

As, indeed, it is in Washington.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:46 pm

Keith M wrote:
Jenise wrote:I'm surprised to read that minors are able to serve alcohol. I'm fairly sure that wouldn't be legal here or in California (where I've also lived).

Well, being under 21 does not necessarily make one a minor.

The age to serve alcohol is 18 in most states and the age to pour (think a bartender mixing drinks) is 21.

As, indeed, it is in Washington.

Interesting, didn't realize. Especially living in a college town, would have thought that I'd have noticed servers under 21, but I haven't.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov