The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Marques de Murrieta

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Marques de Murrieta

by Jay Labrador » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:28 pm

Last Friday I attended the Marques de Murietta dinner organized by Philippine Wine Merchants at the Makati Shangri-La's Red restaurant. Murrieta is a house I have enjoyed over the years but, unfortunately, they have been absent from the Philippines for the last few years so it was a real treat to be able to join this dinner.

Before dinner we were given flutes of the basic Piper-Heidsieck NV which I thought was quite good.

Wines with dinner:

Pazo de Barrantes Albarino 2006 - This is a winery owned by Murrieta. Green, Sauvignon Blanc -like nose. Very light and dry. Soft and leafy. Rather bitter on the finish. I didn't like this at all.

Marques de Murrieta Tinto Reserva Finca Ygay 2002 - Lovely nose. Fruit syrup. Dark berries. Smooth, sweet fruit. Raspberry, plum, blueberry. Rich, exuberant, flamboyant, more-ish wine; quite modern in style. Excellent.

Marques de Murrieta Gran Reserva Castillo Ygay 1998 - I love the ornate label of this wine. Beautiful nose. Dried and ripe fruits, smoke. Great complexity. Meat and spices. Pencil shavings. Good acidity on the finish makes this a more classic style compared to the rich Reserva. Long, dry finish. Such an elegant, almost understated wine. Outstanding.

Marques de Murrieta Dalmau 2003 - As there weren't to many bottles of this available, most of the true wine geeks at the dinner were ushered into a small room just before dessert for a taste of Dalmau. Just a little less than 90% Tempranillo with 10% Cabernet Sauvignon and just a little Graciano. Very rich with a nose quite similar to the 2002 Reserva. Fruit syrup, rich, ripe fruit with the added attraction of spices, cigar, tobacco and truffle. Great complexity here. Very long and dry finish. An outstanding wine in a modern style. Unfortunately, the price is a beyond my comfort zone.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.