The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NEWS: Annual Napa Auction raises $10.3 million

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

NEWS: Annual Napa Auction raises $10.3 million

by Jenise » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:18 pm

Anybody ever go to one of these things? Report from the Napa Valley Register:

http://napavalleyregister.com/articles/2008/06/09/news/local/doc484cc00a3f6bb234726707.txt
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

Re: NEWS: Annual Napa Auction raises $10.3 million

by Michael K » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:03 am

Jenise,

I've been to the Premiere Napa Valley (the one that is held in February) and have always enjoyed it. This is the poorer cousing to the Napa Auction and it usually brings in about $1 million and the entrance fee is something like $150 per person versus $5000 a couple (? what is the going rate?). It is a much more relaxed atmosphere than I thought it would be. Lots of people from the trade of course. The wine makers are all there introducing the samples and lots of chit chat going on. Walk into the kitchen and you WILL stuff yourself silly with the food, then you sit down and watch people bid a lot of money for a good cause for wines that will never sell for that much but that I guess is not the point.

Overall, an enjoyable way to spend a weekend and taste some wines that will never go onto market (or most likely won't...)....

I would love to attend Napa Valley Auction but the tickets are way too expensive.

Mike