The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Not drunk, just drinkin'

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Not drunk, just drinkin'

by Florida Jim » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:19 pm

With crackers and smoked salmon spread:
2005 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Dom. Pierre de La Grange:
Tangy, on both the nose and palate; bright acidity, white fruit and floral notes and that almost resinous tang that fresh Muscadet can have; longer finish than expected. Delicious both on its own and with the dish. $9, full retail.

With pasta with veggies and olives:
2001 Edmunds St. John, Los Robles Viejos:
This may be a southern Rhône blend but it acts more like a St. Joseph with clean syrah smells and a distinct mineral ingredient; firm in the mouth but not closed with red fruit, mineral and some light garrigue accents, fine balance and structure; medium length, integrated finish. A wine of whole cloth with better structure than is typical for CA reds; no doubt, it has a long shelf-life. Gained presence and complexity with the dish.

With Caesar salad and pizza:
1998 Giacomo Conterno, Barolo Cascina Francia:
Very elegant wine with soil and roses, pretty nebbiolo fruit, good complexity and an almost weightless delivery. The label says 14.5% alcohol; you coulda’ fooled me. A lovely bottle that is showing quite well. Terrific with the pizza but then, it’s terrific by itself, too.

With cheese nachos, salsa, hummus and coleslaw:
1993 Sullivan, Merlot:
In those days, Sullivan made wine to age – at 15 years this has finally become what it was made to be; decanted off substantial sediment; a bit of VA along with bottle bouquet, pungent earth and dark fruit tones, some Baker’s chocolate and lots of complexity; still structured in the mouth but with fully developed fruit and earthy flavors, complexity, a certain rusticity and good sustain. Pretty nice wine and really balanced with the meal.

With pasta with zucchini, garbanzo beans, olives and garlic:
2005 Laurent Tribut, Chablis Côte de Léchet:
Less primary than on release but also takes a little while to open in the glass; floral, lemon zest, white fruit aromatics with light accents of fresh air and spring water; the same elements at play in the mouth but now its showing a core of ample fruit that wasn’t noticed last year and some structure that, while understated, creates an intensity in the mouth that is very attractive, good balance and a lovely, long finish. Still a feminine wine but now more woman than girl. Very nice with the dish.

With fried soft-shelled crabs:
2003 Hirtzberger, Grüner Veltliner Axpoint:
A concentrated, open wine with good depth, character and acidity, and none of the difficulties of the vintage in evidence. Charming by itself and good with the food.

With braised short-rips:
2005 Landmark, Pinot Noir Kanzler Vnyd.:
Rhubarb, orange peel, red fruit nose with some underbrush accents; not quite as complex or nice on the palate with candied fruit and echoes of the elements of the nose, big textures and a bit hefty; medium length finish. Not to my taste by itself but this came alive with the short-ribs and was much better than I expected.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: Not drunk, just drinkin'

by Redwinger » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:45 am

Florida Jim wrote:2001 Edmunds St. John, Los Robles Viejos:
This may be a southern Rhône blend but it acts more like a St. Joseph with clean syrah smells and a distinct mineral ingredient; firm in the mouth but not closed with red fruit, mineral and some light garrigue accents, fine balance and structure; medium length, integrated finish. A wine of whole cloth with better structure than is typical for CA reds; no doubt, it has a long shelf-life. Gained presence and complexity with the dish.

Yup,had one of these a week or so back and it was very enjoyable. I'm glad I went long on this as well as the 2001 Wylie-Fenaughty. Both will provide pleasure for at least the next 5 years if they don't fall victim to my impatience.
Take care,
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: WTN: Not drunk, just drinkin'

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:10 pm

Redwinger wrote:
Florida Jim wrote:2001 Edmunds St. John, Los Robles Viejos:

Yup,had one of these a week or so back and it was very enjoyable. I'm glad I went long on this as well as the 2001 Wylie-Fenaughty. Both will provide pleasure for at least the next 5 years if they don't fall victim to my impatience.

You and me both, Bill. Actually, several of my '01 W-Fs are probably going to go as gifts to several N. Rhone vignerons when I travel there this Fall. Hopefully, I'll get a good ROI! :lol:

Mark Lipton