The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What to do with these grapes?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

What to do with these grapes?

by Brian Gilp » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:55 am

This question is still hypothetical at this point since I will not take the first harvest from the vines in question until next season. However, it seems that a small number of my Tannat and Syrah vines are significantly less developed than the rest of the vines. Reason seems to be that there are 3 large oaks that are blocking a good amount from the mid-afternoon through the end of the day. With my oversimplified understanding of grape ripening, my sugar levels should still be fine due to the significant heat and the acids will likely be low as the nights are relatively warm also. However, the sun should impact the phenolic ripeness leaving green flavors and harsh tannins. Assuming this is the case and not wanting to use them with the other grapes for red wine what can I do with them? Seems that making a rose out of them leaves me with the same problems (but maybe to a lesser degree). Pressing them out and treating them like a white doesn't seem like a good idea since I expect the acid levels to be low. Can they still make good Jam? Cutting down the trees is an option but I plan to wait until I see exactly how poor the resulting grape quality really is before making that committment.
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

Re: What to do with these grapes?

by Alan Wolfe » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:23 am

You might be able to make freezer jelly/jam, but heating the grapes/juice will probably destroy whatever flavor there is.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:29 am

Brian,

I don't know to what extent your plantings are, but if I were doing it, I'd wait until I see what gives. In some cases, you may find that blending the ripe with the near-ripe grapes might give you a good result. It of course depends on how ripe and under-ripe each version is, but you won't know that until you harvest them.

That kind of blending of vineyard plots is done all the time in the wine world.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:06 am

Brian--
I think Thomas gave fine advice, and I would trust your instincts as the grower far more than anything I might say. But I wouldn't dismiss the rose idea so quickly, especially if you might be willing blend in a small portion of your riper grapes. Rose will typically be served with a chill on it, which might mitigate some of the less desirable characteristics (if they do in fact develop). And you're in Southern Maryland, am I right? Seems to me there could be a receptive market for a locally produced dry rose.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

by Brian Gilp » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Thomas wrote:Brian,

I don't know to what extent your plantings are, but if I were doing it, I'd wait until I see what gives. In some cases, you may find that blending the ripe with the near-ripe grapes might give you a good result. It of course depends on how ripe and under-ripe each version is, but you won't know that until you harvest them.

That kind of blending of vineyard plots is done all the time in the wine world.

Thanks Thomas. I do plan to wait but want to have a backup plan if my worst fears are realized. The number of vines impacted are roughly 50% of my total Tannat and 25% of my total Syrah.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

by Brian Gilp » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:51 pm

Clinton Macsherry wrote:Brian--
And you're in Southern Maryland, am I right? Seems to me there could be a receptive market for a locally produced dry rose.

Yup. Just outside of LaPlata. However, this is all for home production. No desire to consider doing this commercially.
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:49 pm

I would harvest them separate and ferment them separate. You will never know how they will taste until you make wine from them.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that is not what ships were made for.