The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '05 Easton Sauvignon Blanc Sierra Foothills

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

WTN: '05 Easton Sauvignon Blanc Sierra Foothills

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:19 am

2005 Easton, Sauvignon Blanc, Sierra Foothills ($15.99). Alcohol level 13.8%. The wine was cold fermented in stainless steel and then aged for nine months in neutral French oak barrels on lees. This latter sent my antennae atwitter. There was no malolactic fermentation.

This was an almost perfectly balanced wine. It gave up pineapple and melon on the nose and upfront. On the palate the wine showed an intense complexity of fruit, crisp acid, only a hint of the oak, and a nice dose of minerality. For a white the finish lingered surprisingly.

We matched it with home smoked chicken that true love made into a salad, and she also whipped up a pasta salad with Campanelle. The two went purrrrfectly with the Sauvignon Blanc. The oak and the smoke were soul mates. It was a great meal for a very hot night and a broken air conditioner.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: '05 Easton Sauvignon Blanc Sierra Foothills

by Jenise » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:57 pm

I'm so glad you included the alcohol level in your TN. So many of the wines coming out of that area are well north of 14% these days, and knowing a wine's under can really motivate me to pay attention especially from a producer (like Easton) and a grape I like. Sauvignon Blanc seems to be particularly successsful in that area, judging by examples I've had from Karly, Amador Foothill and Joel Gott.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov