The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Storage Advice...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

jeremy johnson

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:28 pm

Louisville, KY

Wine Storage Advice...

by jeremy johnson » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:17 am

Soooo....I'm a ways off from completing my temperature controlled cellar, but I'm out of space in my rather modestly sized stand alone unit. I have 2 options, and I'm hoping you all can help me choose between the lesser of 2 evils since it is in the lower 80's in my house right now...

Option 1) Keep the extra wine in my basement, where the temp stays in the mid 70's
Option 2) I have a small fridge, but the temp is consistenly 46-48, which is on the cool side

what say you? mid 70's or upper 40's?

thanks!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Wine Storage Advice...

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:20 am

jeremy johnson wrote:what say you? mid 70's or upper 40's?

Living in the exact same climate you do, Jeremy, I'd say basement, or even a cool corner in an air-conditioned room. I've got some wines here that I've stored in the mid-70s for five years or more without any evidence of damage.

Unless you're storing very high-end collectibles for the long haul, I'd just take 'em to the basement.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:35 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
jeremy johnson wrote:what say you? mid 70's or upper 40's?

Living in the exact same climate you do, Jeremy, I'd say basement, or even a cool corner in an air-conditioned room. I've got some wines here that I've stored in the mid-70s for five years or more without any evidence of damage.

Unless you're storing very high-end collectibles for the long haul, I'd just take 'em to the basement.

Jeremy, were I in your predicamnet, I'd put any wines that are fragile (already aged, but at the 'hold' stage) in that cold fridge, and the rest in the basement presuming mid-70's is your summer temperature and the average year-round is a bit cooler than that. Otherwise, I'd buy another storage unit, and resell it when I no longer needed it (which, in fact, is what I did when I was between solutions).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:03 pm

Jeremy,

There may be a third option for you. Since your situation is temporary, do you have a friend or acquaintance locally that has some room in their cellar? I borrowed room in a friend's cellar several years ago and it worked out well. They had the extra room and I insisted on paying them "rent" with some of my wine being the currency.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:36 pm

Since you have a temp controlled option to keep your better bottles in, I say just use your basement for the overflow. I have stored wine short term (<2yrs) in conditions much worse than mid-70's without significant degredation.
no avatar
User

jeremy johnson

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:28 pm

Louisville, KY

by jeremy johnson » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:23 pm

awesome everyone! Thanks for the advice!