The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: French wines at lunch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: French wines at lunch

by Jay Labrador » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:23 pm

One of our good friends was recently overcome by the urge to have some Bordeaux at lunch and so our little group converged on Je Suis Gourmand to try some young Bordeaux.

We started with Ruinart Brut NV Champagne which, unfortunately, was dead. No bubbles. Intense coffee, and obvious oxidation. I adore old Champagne but even this was too much for me. With the Champagne discarded we proceeded to:

Didier Dagueneau Pur Sang 2002 - One of the more interesting expressions of Sauvignon Blanc I've tried. The nose is quite strong and suggests overripe, nearly rotten, fruit. There's a hint of the sickly-sweet smell of decay about this wine. Soft, with good fruit, but quite dry. Despite the nose, there's a greenish, grassy quality to the flavor. A little bitter in the long finish. Good and very interesting.

Chateau Clerc Milon 2004 - Nice nose. Minty and peppery. Mocha and pencil shavings. Very dry, long. Good.

Chateau Leoville-Poyferre 2004 - Strawberry on the nose. Quite sweet fruit. Dusty. Dried herbs. Chocolate. This has good complexity. The finish is long with some good acidity to keep it food friendly. Strangely, I found there was a bit of New Worldy oakiness poking out at the finish. Rather modern in style compared to the Clerc Milon but I thought it was very good.

For dessert:

Chateau Lafaurie-Peyraguey 2003 - Deep gold. Exceptionally smooth. Manages to be syrupy without being cloying. Oddly, I also detected a hint of seaweed/umami on the palate which certainly contributed to the rich mouthfeel of the wine. Excellent.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: French wines at lunch

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:54 pm

I had the 2004 Clerc Milon as part of a vertical a couple of months ago & liked it very much. Very Pauillac.

Poyferre has gone modern, but not over the top. I love it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:46 pm

Good to know I'm not imagining the modernity of the Leoville.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:01 am

Jay Labrador wrote:Good to know I'm not imagining the modernity of the Leoville.

It has been talked about a lot on that "other" site.
Decisions are made by those who show up