The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: South African wines (lengthy--maybe Tutu much)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: South African wines (lengthy--maybe Tutu much)

by JC (NC) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:09 pm

Fayetteville (NC) Wine Society meeting June 9--South African wines

In April we planned to meet on the patio at Luigi's Restaurant. A heavy rain that day (in the middle of a severe drought) caused us to meet inside the restaurant. Last night we were to be on the patio at Huske Hardware House Restaurant and 101 Fahrenheit drove us indoors where we met on a balcony overlooking the ground floor. We had three whites, a rose', and three reds with two different plates of appetizers to pair with the wines. ($20 for members)

2007 RAATS CHENIN BLANC "ORIGINAL" Stellenbosch
Producer grows only Chenin Blanc and Cabernet Franc grapes.
No oak aging. Crisp palate cleanser with prominent minerals. Notes handed out also say white peach and honeysuckle but I found this to be more a dry crisp wine. I liked it enough to order two bottles for later pickup. Under $20 per bottle. This was served with s small dome of spicy risotto (jambalaya-style with some bits of sausage.) The crisp wine matched well with the slight spiciness of the rice.

2007 SPRINGFIELD ESTATE SAUVIGNON BLANC "LIFE FROM STONE"
Stephen Tanzer 91 pts.; "Decanter" 4 stars
Flinty nose reflecting the flinty terroir. Grapefruit aroma in the background. This was paired with a deviled egg with capers.

2005 GLEN CARLOU CHARDONNAY
From the Paarl Valley region. 10 months in oak (95% French oak, 5% American oak, 35% new oak.) Buttery, slightly unctuous. I was torn on whether I liked this wine or disliked it. Decided not to purchase any. The wine retailer who likes the buttery-type Chards loved this. Paired with a crab cake.
(Carlou has partnered with Don Hess of Hess Wines in Napa.)

2007 MULDERBOSCH CABERNET SAUVIGNON ROSE'
96% Cabernet Sauvignon 4% Cabernet Franc
Gentle handling of grapes. Delicate red berry flavors and pleasant nose. Some bacon also contributing to the nose. Paired with a salad of watermelon, crabmeat, and red and green lettuce leaves. I think this will be a great summer sipper for picnics or patios and ordered two bottles.

2004 MULDERBOSCH SHIRAZ
Heavy, concentrated nose. I was getting dark fruits and espresso. The handout notes dark olive, tobacco, pepper, fig and currant-paste. It does have a peppery finish on the palate. Chewy in the mouth. Tasted very young. Opinion was divided on this wine. I was not crazy about it, especially this young, but others liked it. It would be wise to decant it or hold off a few years. "Wine Spectator" scored it 92 pts. Served with a mini-quiche with lemony custard base, roasted tomato and sausage topping.

2005 VINUM AFRICA CABERNET SAUVIGNON
Almost opaque, with a purple color. Vinified in a somewhat modern style but with minimalist techniques and intervention. Viscous. Mouth coating. Sees new French oak. I believe this was less expensive than the Shiraz or following Bordeaux blend (in the $20's while the other two were in the $30's) but I liked it better. I ordered one bottle. Drinking smoothly--not very tannic. Suggested pairing is with grilled or smoked meats. We had it with a large strawberry soaked in wine.

2005 RUSTENBERG "JOHN X. MERRIMAN"
Named after a 19th-Century prime minister. Lots of history behind this vineyard. All five Bordeaux grape varieties in the blend. In barrel for 9 months and barriques for 11
months. Some thought this was clearly the best wine of the evening but I was rather neutral about it. 92 pts. from "Wine Enthusiast" and named as a Cellar Selection in July 2007. This was paired with two cremini mushrooms topped with Boursin cheese.

Fun evening and well worth the $20 fee.

I told one of the organizers, Nick Parrous, that I was rather glad we weren't having Pinotage (not my favorite--apologies to Paul B.) One lady, who is one of the more experienced oneophiles in the group, said "Oh, I love Pinotage!" Nick Parrous said they looked for a Pinotage but didn't find one they thought would be suitable. They try to select wines that are plentiful in the distributor's inventory so that people can purchase any they choose to buy.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Aagggghhhh ...

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:25 pm

Sorry, I just had to say something about that pun. Aiyeeeeee!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Aagggghhhh ...

by James Roscoe » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:40 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Sorry, I just had to say something about that pun. Aiyeeeeee!

Not very Nobel of you, Robin.

I have had most of those wines JC. I found the Bdx blend okay, but nothing spectacular. My memory is that it retailed for under $20 which seemed fair.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: South African wines (lengthy--maybe Tutu much)

by JC (NC) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:15 pm

Aagggghhhh ...
by Robin Garr on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:25 pm

Sorry, I just had to say something about that pun. Aiyeeeeee!

Well, it got your attention didn't it? JC
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:43 am

I'm sure JC will quickly springbok from your condemnation!

(nothing like a good pun to start the day!)
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:57 am

Good one, Bill.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:50 am

James Roscoe wrote:

Not very Nobel of you, Robin.

I have had most of those wines JC. I found the Bdx blend okay, but nothing spectacular. My memory is that it retailed for under $20 which seemed fair.

I really really admire South African wines. One reason is wines like the Rustenbergs, which I like better than James does, and which run closer to $30 in our market and sell well because they show well compared to domestic wines at that price. They also age beautifully. I'm also a big fan of Mulderbosch wines in general, though I've never had their Syrah, and that Life From Stone SB.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:06 pm

I'd add Beyerskloof Synergy when they don't screw it up by adding too much Pinotage, the excellent Boekenhoutskloof Syrahs, De Toren Fusion V, some of the Delheim Grand Reserves, the idiosyncratic and expensive Eben Sadie wines, The Kanonkop Paul Sauer cabs, Plasier de Merle, some of the old Nederberg auction wines, the Stellenzicht estate wine, and just about anything Vergelegen does.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:08 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I'd add Beyerskloof Synergy when they don't screw it up by adding too much Pinotage, the excellent Boekenhoutskloof Syrahs, De Toren Fusion V, some of the Delheim Grand Reserves, the idiosyncratic and expensive Eben Sadie wines, The Kanonkop Paul Sauer cabs, Plasier de Merle, some of the old Nederberg auction wines, the Stellenzicht estate wine, and just about anything Vergelegen does.
Excellent short list with an emphatic yes re your Vergelegen comment, though I would add Thelema.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:22 pm

Jenise, we are not well served when it comes to Thelema in BC.

I have tried to get them to bring in cases of their cab, but all they offer us only the cab/shiraz or the merlot, and that in a desultory manner.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:31 pm

I loved a Southern Right Sauvignon Blanc from Walker Bay, South Africa but haven't seen it in shops near me.
Last edited by JC (NC) on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:21 pm

JC (NC) wrote:I loved a Southern Right Sauvignon Blanc from Walker Bay, South Africa but haven't seen in in shops near me.

Yes, we've got the Southern Right wines here. They're very reasonably priced, and have a great QPR.

Dave
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:06 pm

Dave! Haven't seen a post from you in awhile, good to see you. How's the hardware store coming?
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:50 pm

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome back!

It turns out the hardware store wasn't my cup of tea. I'm certainly a collector of things, and any good hardware store is a great thing-collection, and that appealed to me. The clientele, that's another story, but that's really all I should say. I sure liked helping people with wine WAY better. So, I got out of the hardware business. Now I'm working on opening my own wine shop, and I expect there will be real news about that soon. I'm very excited to be back in the wine world again!

I was just looking at my cellar and found I only have five SA wines there, and two of those are desserts. I need to fix that! Some Mulderbosch Sauv Blanc and rose, that Southern Right SB, the Neil Ellis wines, especially the Sincerely SB and Shiraz are sounding good right now. I recall the MAN cellars Chenin as being good, as well as really cheap too. Hm. I seem to have a thing for South Africa Sauv Blanc going there!

Dave
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:01 pm

MtBakerDave wrote:Hey, thanks for the warm welcome back!

It turns out the hardware store wasn't my cup of tea. I'm certainly a collector of things, and any good hardware store is a great thing-collection, and that appealed to me. The clientele, that's another story, but that's really all I should say. I sure liked helping people with wine WAY better. So, I got out of the hardware business. Now I'm working on opening my own wine shop, and I expect there will be real news about that soon. I'm very excited to be back in the wine world again!

I was just looking at my cellar and found I only have five SA wines there, and two of those are desserts. I need to fix that! Some Mulderbosch Sauv Blanc and rose, that Southern Right SB, the Neil Ellis wines, especially the Sincerely SB and Shiraz are sounding good right now. I recall the MAN cellars Chenin as being good, as well as really cheap too. Hm. I seem to have a thing for South Africa Sauv Blanc going there!

Dave

We'll look forward to news of your wine shop. Was thinking of you last weekend when we were down in Seattle wine tasting (a goofy trip based on the desire to test a friend's RV for party-on-wheels purposes), wherein the great discovery of the trip was Woodinville Wine Cellars. When you open your shop, we'll definitely stop by.

Had the latest Man Chenin last Saturday night at a friend's house, and it's as good or even better than I remembered. So, no SA reds?
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:46 pm

MB Dave,
Your mention of Woodinville caused me to think about VinElla Wine Shop which opened in 2005 in Woodinville (website is http://www.vinellawines.com/) The owner used to post on another web forum and we followed some of his travails in choosing the site, handling paperwork and permits, collecting inventory, etc. prior to opening (and I think there has been a flooding incident since opening.) You may want to talk to him for some tips if he is willing to share the benefit of his experience.

Good luck!
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:14 pm

Well Jenise, my thoughts turn to whites every time we have a miserable chilly rainy June, don't yours?

Seriously, I haven't dug out my tasting notes, but I don't have strong recollections of any SA reds from last time I went to our SA distributor's tasting. The reds that really stole the show that day were the Musar vertical. That's some tough competition!
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:04 pm

JC (NC) wrote:MB Dave,
Your mention of Woodinville caused me to think about VinElla Wine Shop which opened in 2005 in Woodinville (website is http://www.vinellawines.com/) The owner used to post on another web forum and we followed some of his travails in choosing the site, handling paperwork and permits, collecting inventory, etc. prior to opening (and I think there has been a flooding incident since opening.) You may want to talk to him for some tips if he is willing to share the benefit of his experience.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip and the best wishes. I haven't been out to Woodinville looking at wine shops, so I wasn't aware of those guys. Believe me though, I have years of experience with permits in the city of Seattle already, between the hardware store and the ill-fated wine bar. I expect the initial stock selection to be more challenging, but I've been working on getting up to speed on that for a couple months already. I should go out and visit Steve though. He might have good advice on that.

I think we've achieved thread drift here!
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:19 pm

I started the thread and drift is okay with me. Getting back to the Fayetteville Wine Society, however, (the group hosting the South African wines evening), another of the organizers is manager of Grapes and Hops, a local store that sells wine and beer and equipment for brewing beer or making wine. Interesting that VinElla also carries specialty beers.