The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TNR: 07 Pepiere

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

robs_r

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 am

TNR: 07 Pepiere

by robs_r » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:49 pm

Hi all!

Amazingly a wine merchant here started to sell the '07 Pepiere Muscadet, specifically the AOC and the Clos de Briords at quite reasonable prices (especially if you buy a case).
Pepiere always gets high praise here and over at Therapy but I haven't read a lot about the 2007s.

SFJoe did some overwiew about the 07 vintage in the Loire if I remember correctly and considered the Muscadets quite nice.

So should I bite for a case?

The reason I ask is that being in Austria I have easy access to a lot of very reasonable priced, fresh, lean and mean Grüne Veltliners and for me Muscadet is similar in it's usage at the table. (Actually I asked myself a similar question when I drank a Ribolla Gialla from Kitzmüller some days ago - fresh, lean, a slight bitterness in the medium long and mineral finish, sounds exactly like a low key GV, doesn't it?).

Regards, Robert
Robert Ruzitschka
Vienna, Austria
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: TNR: 07 Pepiere

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:17 pm

It's hard to know whether you should buy a case, especially not knowing what else is in your market. But I will say I thought the '07 a fine example of Muscadet, in a leaner more classic style than a couple of other recent vintages (though I liked them all). Personally, if possible I always try buying a bottle first.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: TNR: 07 Pepiere

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:02 pm

robs_r wrote:
The reason I ask is that being in Austria I have easy access to a lot of very reasonable priced, fresh, lean and mean Grüne Veltliners and for me Muscadet is similar in it's usage at the table. (Actually I asked myself a similar question when I drank a Ribolla Gialla from Kitzmüller some days ago - fresh, lean, a slight bitterness in the medium long and mineral finish, sounds exactly like a low key GV, doesn't it?).

Robert,
Like Dale, I can't answer your central question (re a case purchase), but as to the distinction between Muscadet and GV, I find different uses for them. Muscadet is more of a seafood/aperitif wine for me, whereas Federspiel-level GV is more of an Asian/light food wine for me. YMMV of course.

Mark Lipton