The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Edmunds St John Bone-Jolly Gamay Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN: 2004 Edmunds St John Bone-Jolly Gamay Noir

by Bob Hower » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:28 pm

13.1% acl. $15 at my local retailer.
It's hot. I was thinking about dinner and what wine I wanted to drink. Omelette, salad. Forget white. I wanted red. Beaujolais. I thought about opening a 2006 Jean-Paul Thevenet Morgon Vieilles Vignes to compare with David Bueker's notes on the 2005. I surveyed my collection of Beaujolais and spotted the Bone-Jolly. I'd loved the Rosé and had read good things about Steve's wines, so I decided to try it. I couldn't quite figure out the nose - not fruit so much as something green, spicy, maybe floral, but inviting, the color a lovely garnett. I took a sip. The fruit in this wine is present but nicely restrained, mostly towards the red - sour cherry, raspberry, strawberry end of things - but with a good bite. It has a white pepper, zingy, livliness on the toungue. It's deeper and more complex than many Beaujolais, but still light enough to be a good summer wine - smooth substantial mouth feel, lively acidity, juicy tannins, nice long stimulating finish. In a word, lovely. I had intended to share a half of the bottle with my wife and shelve the rest, but we kept pouring just a wee bit more, and soon it was all gone.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2004 Edmunds St John Bone-Jolly Gamay Noir

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:04 am

Wow. I'm impressed that it held up so well.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup.....

by TomHill » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:44 pm

Bob Hower wrote:..... shelve the rest, but we kept pouring just a wee bit more, and soon it was all gone.

Yup....that tends to happen when you drink a SteveEdmund's wine. All of a sudden....the bottle's empty.
Tom
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

NoSurprise...

by TomHill » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:47 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Wow. I'm impressed that it held up so well.

No surprise, David. It was not made as a frivulous little Beaujolais or carbonic maceration. I'm guessing it'll still be a good &
interesting drink 5 yrs from now.
I had Steve's first PinotGrigio at 10-12 yrs of age... and it wasn't just a survivor...it was danged good drinking.
Tom