The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mostly Calif PinotNoir...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Mostly Calif PinotNoir...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:02 pm

We tried last night (6/11/08) some New PinotNoirs:
1. DryCreekVnyd PinotNoir DCV10Vnyd/RRV (13.9%; 390 cs) 2005: Med.dark color; attractive
cherry/black cherry/PN rather toasty/pencilly/oak slight RRV/earthy nose; tart bit sour
light black cherry/PN rather toasty/pencilly flavor; med.short light black cherry/PN
somewhat toasty/pencilly finish w/ rather raspy/gritty tannins; pleasant enough PN but
a bit disappointing for a DCV red. $28.00
hard/tannic finish; pleasant Pinot but just that; bit undistinguished. $36.00
tannic/structured flavor; very long some tannic strong black cherry/walnutty/PN rather
Burgundian/toasty/oak finish; needs 2-5 yrs of age; a very good/structured Pinot; bit
pricey at $49.00
bright/cherry/soda pop light toasty/charred/oak finish w/ light tannins; a bit simple but
a pleasant cherry sort of Pinot; pricey at $42.00
oak light earthy finish; needs several yrs; attractive/pleasant Pinot but just that.
$46.00
toasty/charred/oak rather hard/tannic finish; seems rather closed & tight but more
structured than Redwood'sEdge. $46.00
PN finish w/ light tannins; rather forward attractive Pinot. $46.00
flavor; long hard/tannic/structured some black cherry/PN finish; much like the Kite'sRest
in size & structure but a bit more fruit & perfume. $46.00
tannic/structured somewhat toasty/charred/oak strong black cherry/blackberry/PN bit
earthy nose; long fairly structured/tannic strong black cherry/blackberry/PN some
toasty/charred/oak finish; needs 3-6 yrs; pretty big example of Pinot and almost
Syrah-like in character. $38.00
little fruit finish w/ light tannins; all about terroir and only vague hints about
fruit; pretty unthrilling unless it's only terroir you want. $25.00
polished complex flavor; long black cherry/PN some toasty/smokey/oak smooth some complex
finish w/ light tannins; a lovely mature Siduri Pinot that should go another few yrs.
Larry's mystery wine.
licorice/black cherry/Pinot flavor; med.long toasty/charred/Burgundian/oak light licorice/
black cherry/Pinot finish w/ fair tannins; pretty decent RedBurg that needs some age;
way to pricey for my blood. $80.00
unknowns. The BlackKites were decent enough but rather overpriced. None did I actively
dislike but they were all pretty underperforming for the $$. Maybe I better stick to
the Siduris??
thus far. So I thought I'd see what $80 can buy in a village RedBurg. Served to the
group as a mystery wine. Not many guesses it was a $$ RedBurg. I liked the wine and
thought it some like the RedBurgs I used to buy back in the '70's. But I think I'll
just stick w/ my Siduris and Radio-Coteaus and leave the RedBurg market to those with
the $$'s to play that minefield.
fruit and hints of earth and loam. I wasn't blown away by them but thought they were
all pretty good, if a bit pricey. The RiverTurn was my favorite for its bigger structure
and more interesting character; though the Kite'sRest may eventually be the best of
the foursome.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN: Mostly Calif PinotNoir...(long/boring)

by Bob Hower » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:25 pm

Good report Tom. You might be interested in what Gary Vaynerchuk has to say about the BlackKite Kite's Rest PN on Friday's edition of Wine Library TV ("Mailing List Wines") which you can link to from the Forum's main page. He was pretty enthusiastic.