The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bubble it up

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: Bubble it up

by Keith M » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:28 pm

N.V. Duc de Foix Cava Brut Reserva Especial [blend of Chardonnay, Macabeo, Xarel-lo, and Parellada] (Cava DO, Catalunya, Spain) sparkling wine-type cork closure with wire cage, 12% - appears deep ginger ale gold, fast bigger bubble movement with small steams, smell nice rocks and lots of yeast upfront, hint of apricot and citrus, heady and flowery, on day two bit of singed hair and more seashore rocks, wonderful nose, mouthfeel heavier texture, very fine rounded bubbles, amazing sharp and soft, rocking mouthfeel, taste forward stone fruit, stones themselves quickly enter and take over, bizarre thing happens repeatedly on finish where incredible punch of intensity and alcoholic heat takes over my mouth and makes me feel like I just had a glass of brandy or scotch, had to repeatedly look to confirm alcohol level, almost gives me heartburn—it is kind of a mix of greenness, tons of intense flavor with what I associate with grape skins (making me think heavily extracted) and rocks, that finish was bizarre and would prevent me from seeking out another, nonetheless, even at $28, I am very glad I had this bottle, it was a very unique experience—I have never had sparkling wine like this before, and the nose, mouthfeel, and intense flavors really were great, just that intensity on the finish was too much for me

N.V. Pannier Champagne Brut Sélection [blend of a majority of Chardonnay, and equal parts Pinot Noir and Meunier] (Champagne, France) sparkling wine cork with wire cage closure, 12% - imported to USA by Cellar Door Selections, Columbia, Maryland – appears pale gold, tons of tiny streams of bubbles, really tiny bubbles, smell concentrated upfront pear (this moves over to tart apple later), almost hint of boysenberry/raspberry element, hint of alcohol perhaps, sawdust and yeast, interesting very inviting nose, mouthfeel texture is cake and it is divine, firmly packed, finely ground, light and very tender, wow, taste crisp balance between delicious fresh fruit and reserved dryness, just bare hint of pear or more likely peach (this becomes obvious apple later), followed by scrumptious scone, followed by peach pit, intense long tart yeasty finish, I love it, easy wine to drink with lots of personality and individuality, wow, wouldn’t hesitate to buy it again at $25

N.V. Spumanti Gemin (Guglielmo Bortolomiol) Prosecco di Valdobbiadene Brut (Valdobbiadene DOC, Veneto, northeastern Italy) sparkling wine cork with wire cage closure, 12% - imported to USA by Grappoli Imports, Alexandria, Virginia – appears very pale, almost clear, lots of fizz, smell sharp melon and cheese, persimmon, spicyness, very full nose, hay and harvest, intriguing, on day two, burnt hair, which oddly enough is also intriguing, mouthfeel heavier texture, good backbone foam and froth, taste very pleasant persimmons, dried figs, very concentrated and unique, dry with some flour or yeast on sides, very dry and scratchy, I grew to really love this wine as the dryness married with its intensity of flavor, dry and scratchy but full of flavor, very happy with a bottle of this for $15

N.V. Montsarra Cava Brut [blend of Macabeo, Xarel-lo, and Parellada] (Cava DO, Catalunya, Spain) sparkling wine-type cork closure with wire cage, 11.5% - imported to USA by Broadbent Selections, San Francisco, California - appears very pale almost colorless, tons of small bubble streams, smell nearly burnt my nose at first and I burst out laughing, more cautiously returned and found sweetness and definite sugar on the nose, pineapple or something, but less syrupy tropical, some hay and grass, mouthfeel light foamy, soft but distinct bubbles, melds pretty smooth, taste some power and stones upfront nice mineral as it opens, earthy characteristics in force, beautiful grip, Riesling-like quality to it, taste with touch of residual sugar to bring package together, on day 2, more integrated, lot of bubbles still, marrying of sweet foam and mineral softness, clean, I rather liked it, though the sugar was just a tad noticeable, it worked here, tasty, but I'd prefer it more if I could pay less than the $19 I did

Edited to clarify name of producer of the prosecco