The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sunday Night Wines (Mostly French)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Sunday Night Wines (Mostly French)

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:49 am

Quite pleasant evening with my friends Joe and Donna and their friends.

Woodbridge Creek Winery (Oregon) Pinot Noir Rose 2007. Brought by Joe's friends. Absolutely zero about this winery that I could quickly find on the net, but this Rose was crisp, refreshing, lower in alcohol, and very dry. Solid 87 points! Delicious with the caprese salad.

As was the Schiopetto 2005 Collio Tocai Friulano. Very minerally, with citrus notes. "pear" was also mentioned. Only ding is this wine showed a touch of heat. Very very classy. I love northeastern Italian whites! 89 points.

Chateau Redoitier Beaunes de Venise Cotes du Rhone Villages 2000. Ferry Plaza Wine Merchants had this beauty as a special offer. First older CdRV I've tried-I guess one CAN age these wines!!! Dark plum , strawberry, and plenty of olive, meat, and garrigue. Delicious and smooth. Great, palate-cleansing acidity, despite the hot vintage. 91 points given the QPR ($17) "Buy me a case" was the comment around the table tonight :)

Stephane Tissot Singulier 2005. Je suis l'Arbophile! Decanted at the party. Richer than the 2004, with more plum flavor than the cherry. Mouthwatering acidity. The earthy base of this wine is still in place. Maybe some licorice. This is such a great food wine. 92 points.

Clos Siguier Cahors 2005 (Jenny and Francois under $12) 12.5% alcohol. What a bargain. The lightest and simplest wine of the evening. Probably should have been tasted first! I don't think this sees ANY oak. Dark color, with some ruby rim. Somewhat reticent, fruity nose. Dark cherry, blueberry. Very light (12.5% abv), this is a delicious quaffer that was very enjoyable. Given that most California wine at this price range is industrial plonk.... 86 points.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: Sunday Night Wines (Mostly French)

by Tim York » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:03 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Clos Siguier Cahors 2005 (Jenny and Francois under $12) 12.5% alcohol. What a bargain. The lightest and simplest wine of the evening. Probably should have been tasted first! I don't think this sees ANY oak. Dark color, with some ruby rim. Somewhat reticent, fruity nose. Dark cherry, blueberry. Very light (12.5% abv), this is a delicious quaffer that was very enjoyable. Given that most California wine at this price range is industrial plonk.... 86 points.

The Cahors region is producing quite a lot of very nice entry level wine like this as well the more austere and strappingly tangy and tannic stuff with which it is associated. This is another reason why I have doubts about the appellation's marketing slogan "Black Wine".
Tim York
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:24 am

I agree, Tim. The Cahors was very approachable-even for relative "novices."
(Unless said novices have been raised on sweet oak soup Cali wines! :P )
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:38 am

Tim York wrote:The Cahors region is producing quite a lot of very nice entry level wine like this as well the more austere and strappingly tangy and tannic stuff with which it is associated. This is another reason why I have doubts about the appellation's marketing slogan "Black Wine".

Well, I don't know that emphasizing the "Black Wine" necessarily implies that is the only style of wine produced in the region. Instead, depending on how it is enacted, "Black Wine" may make sense as a way of emphasizing what is unique about the region and what makes it different from other regions. Which could eventually lead to premium prices for premium "Black Wines" while estates also sold entry level wine alongside that.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:44 pm

Tim York wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:Clos Siguier Cahors 2005 (Jenny and Francois under $12) 12.5% alcohol. What a bargain. The lightest and simplest wine of the evening. Probably should have been tasted first! I don't think this sees ANY oak. Dark color, with some ruby rim. Somewhat reticent, fruity nose. Dark cherry, blueberry. Very light (12.5% abv), this is a delicious quaffer that was very enjoyable. Given that most California wine at this price range is industrial plonk.... 86 points.

The Cahors region is producing quite a lot of very nice entry level wine like this as well the more austere and strappingly tangy and tannic stuff with which it is associated. This is another reason why I have doubts about the appellation's marketing slogan "Black Wine".

Hi Tim.

Current Decanter has a Cahors suppliment!!

Bob
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:07 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Tim York wrote:The Cahors region is producing quite a lot of very nice entry level wine like this as well the more austere and strappingly tangy and tannic stuff with which it is associated. This is another reason why I have doubts about the appellation's marketing slogan "Black Wine".

Well, I don't know that emphasizing the "Black Wine" necessarily implies that is the only style of wine produced in the region. Instead, depending on how it is enacted, "Black Wine" may make sense as a way of emphasizing what is unique about the region and what makes it different from other regions. Which could eventually lead to premium prices for premium "Black Wines" while estates also sold entry level wine alongside that.

Rahsaan, the Cahors wine business is keen to emulate the commercial success of Argentinian Malbec and has latched onto "Malbec" and "Black Wine" as marketing slogans, the latter partly to differentiate the Cahors product from the Argentinian product.

The difficulty for Cahors is that it cannot produce quality at such high yields as Mendoza, which has the additional advantage of much lower labour costs. My take is that Cahors can succeed with more powerful up-market offerings for which "Black Wine" is arguably an appropriate slogan (though for me "black" has negative connotations) and also at the lighter but often delicious QPR level of the wine reviewed in this thread, for which "Black Wine" is inappropriate in every way. Furthermore, I fear that emphasizing "Malbec" may confuse potential consumers of the latter category because the flavour profile bears no resemblance to the much heavier weight Argentinian product which the world associates with "Malbec". I like Cahors wine and I hope that they succeed in their quality and marketing ambitions but I have reservations about their marketing slogans.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:12 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Hi Tim.

Current Decanter has a Cahors suppliment!!

Bob

Bob,

Is that the April number with the Antony Rose survey? That edition of Decanter was included in the journalists' pack distributed at the Cahors Malbec Days by the organizers. A very good survey, IMHO.

Or is it something new which has not yet landed in my letter box?

Tim
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:15 pm

Tim York wrote:My take is that Cahors can succeed with more powerful up-market offerings for which "Black Wine" is arguably an appropriate slogan (though for me "black" has negative connotations) and also at the lighter but often delicious QPR level of the wine reviewed in this thread, for which "Black Wine" is inappropriate in every way..

Ok, I can see that. But it doesn't mean Black Wine is a bad slogan, it just means they need another one for their lighter style of wine.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:00 am

Brian K Miller wrote:As was the Schiopetto 2005 Collio Tocai Friulano. Very minerally, with citrus notes. "pear" was also mentioned. Only ding is this wine showed a touch of heat. Very very classy. I love northeastern Italian whites! 89 points.

Brian,
I'm glad you like it now, but to view this wine in its full glory, many more years of cellaring is required. Schiopetto's Tocai (er Friulano...ahem) is one of the world's best. I've heard its slow growth blamed on hyper-ox and the like, but the bottom line is: buy another bottle and forget about it for a while.

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:01 pm

Thanks, Bill, for the advice. I had no idea this was meant to be aged. :oops:
I was even a little worried that I had let it go too long! :P Everyone was very happy with how balanced and elegant the wine showed Sunday night. It probably merits more than the 89 I gave it.

I'm not sure Dan at Back Room Wines has any more. I'll check.

Edit: Have you ever tried Scarpetta? It's 100% Tocai Friulano even though it's labelled as a Vino de Tavola Bianco.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:20 pm

Tim York wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:

Rahsaan, the Cahors wine business is keen to emulate the commercial success of Argentinian Malbec and has latched onto "Malbec" and "Black Wine" as marketing slogans, the latter partly to differentiate the Cahors product from the Argentinian product.

The difficulty for Cahors is that it cannot produce quality at such high yields as Mendoza, which has the additional advantage of much lower labour costs. My take is that Cahors can succeed with more powerful up-market offerings for which "Black Wine" is arguably an appropriate slogan (though for me "black" has negative connotations) and also at the lighter but often delicious QPR level of the wine reviewed in this thread, for which "Black Wine" is inappropriate in every way. Furthermore, I fear that emphasizing "Malbec" may confuse potential consumers of the latter category because the flavour profile bears no resemblance to the much heavier weight Argentinian product which the world associates with "Malbec". I like Cahors wine and I hope that they succeed in their quality and marketing ambitions but I have reservations about their marketing slogans.

Perhaps Cahors can take a marketing cue from the Germans:

http://www.vizinity.com/hello/883083/320/blacktower-2005.11.05-16.49.26.jpg