The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The weird and the wonderful

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

WTN: The weird and the wonderful

by Peter Ruhrberg » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:39 am

Jean Mackle Cremant de Jura 1999 chalky, dry, mineral, long, a very puristic and superb value of a sparkler.
Johann Ruck Scheurebe “Esteria” 2006 quite impressive density, slight bitterness with the mierality, a bit rustic for my, with understated Scheurebe goosberrishness. Not really my kind of thing.
Claudio Mariotto Colli Tortonesi Bianco “Pitasso” 2004 a rare white wine from Piedmonte, with an intense minerality, serious alcohol level, yet somehow not overwhelmed by it. Impressive again, but not exactly fun. Prefer it to the Scheu.
Pierre Overnoy Chardonnay 1992 Bid step up. Serious aged Chardonnay, with haselnut and iodine on the nose, pure, focused and mineral style. This could pass for high class Burgundy in a less rich style. Superb wine.
Georg Breuer gelber Orleans 2005 a historic Rheingau variety that was apparently crossed back recently. I don’t see this replacing Riesling any time soon though. Firm, dry, touch of bitterness, not very obvious aromatics.
Nicolas Joly Coulee de Serrant 1997 Superb nose, apple pie, spices, Cognac, old wood. Full and deep, very complex. WOTN for me and most in the group.
Josko Gravner Ribolla Anfora 2001 Closed on the nose, but I left some in the glass to see it open up after an hour or so. Nice minerality, fine tannins, long. This need time and serious decanting. Great potential.
Egon Schäffer Escherndorfer Lump Silvaner Spätlese trocken 2004 classic old fashioned Franken Silvaner, bone dry, good acidity, but all in harmony.
Heymann-Löwenstein Rieslin Uhlen R Roth Lay 2006 is not dry. Some might call it “harmonic dry” maybe. There is peach, more tinned than fresh, and spices. Density and length are impressive, but freshness and drinkability less so.
Mantlerhof Roter Veltliner Hommage 1999 thick, rick, glyceric, quite sweet.
Fratelli Alessandria Verduno Pelaverga 2005 another rare wine from Piedmonte, now a red one. Lovely strawberry nose, very piedmontese somehow. Simple but delicious wine.
Frank Cornelissen MunJebel Rosso 2005 a red amphora wine from Sicily. Cloudy, rather shrill acidity, seems like a spoilt bottle. Appearntly bottled without sulfur. I’d like to try it straight from the amphora…
Palari Faro Palari 2004 back to modern wine making. Nice fruit, but the new wood takes over with time and air, and eventually it becomes another wine that should have stayed out of the barriques.
Jacky Truchot Camb. Musigny 1er cru Les Sentieres 2002 such a relief. Old fashioned, a bit closed, quite soft tannins (some find reason to complain about that – they seem to miss the dry wood tannins?) lovely harmony and finesse. Maybe not the depth of a great vintage, but 02 doesn’t look like one to me now.
Francois Chidaine Montluis Moelleux 2005 Fabulous nose of pears, apple pie, nuts, and maybe asparagus?, rich and excotic, yet also fine and balanced. Superb and should live for decades to come. A great finale to a fascinating line up of wines.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: The weird and the wonderful

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:03 am

I'm not sure I would go looking for great depth in a Truchot. Complexity is there in spades, but depth has never been his strong suit.

Nice notes!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:21 am

Peter Ruhrberg wrote:

Nicolas Joly Coulee de Serrant 1997 Superb nose, apple pie, spices, Cognac, old wood. Full and deep, very complex. WOTN for me and most in the group.

Hello Peter,

Was this wine decanted? I have been advised to decant Coulée de Serrant 24 hours in advance or risk disappointment!!!!

Heymann-Löwenstein Rieslin Uhlen R Roth Lay 2006 is not dry. Some might call it “harmonic dry” maybe. There is peach, more tinned than fresh, and spices. Density and length are impressive, but freshness and drinkability less so.

I drank his Schieferterrassen 06 a few days ago and it was also distinctly sweet. Does this represent a change in style, a function of the vintage or something else?

Francois Chidaine Montluis Moelleux 2005 Fabulous nose of pears, apple pie, nuts, and maybe asparagus?, rich and excotic, yet also fine and balanced. Superb and should live for decades to come. A great finale to a fascinating line up of wines.

Some people complain about irregularity but all the Chidaines I have had recently, both dry and less so, have been excellent.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:27 am

Tim,
the Joly was decanted, but I believe not for long. I'd have to check with Markus, but certainly not 24h - a couple of hours at best.

Maybe Löwenstein tried to avoid excessive alc. levels by leaving more RS in 06, which had as you know very high oechsle readings. I any case, he is not following the bone dry philosophy of his early years any more.

Peter
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

by Martin Barz » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:31 am

"Palari Faro Palari 2004 back to modern wine making. Nice fruit, but the new wood takes over with time and air, and eventually it becomes another wine that should have stayed out of the barriques"

Ich hatte letzte Woche den 05er Klaus-Peter Keller und David Rayer präsentiert und die haben genau dasselbe gesagt......
http://berlinkitchen.com