The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Rapet Bourgogne en Bully

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2006 Rapet Bourgogne en Bully

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:49 am

Recommended by Chambers Street Wines, my favorite store. At $20, not expecting much, but some of their bourgognes (e.g., 2002 Maréchal and 2005 Leclerc) have given me much pleasure.

Dullish cherry tone, not the prettiest, darker than I would have expected. Typical young burgundy cherry aroma and some eucalyptus, a slight greeniness that I associate, rightly or wrongly, with the inclusion of stems in the maceration process. Feels lightweight in the mouth, but pleasingly tart, generating a nice astringency in the back of the tongue. Pleasant fruit, but tastes a bit unbalanced because there's too much acid for the fruit. With food, some of the excessive acidity recedes, but is still dominant (compared to memories of the excellent acid/fruit balance of the Maréchal and the Leclerc).

I expected the fruit to be more exuberant at this early stage, but was grateful for the correctly modest buzz generated by the "low" (12.5%) alcohol. In short, I wouldn't sing the praises of this, but was happy for the experience.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.