The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Geiben’s Karlsmühle Kaseler Nies’chen Kabinett ‘06

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

WTN: Geiben’s Karlsmühle Kaseler Nies’chen Kabinett ‘06

by Bill Hooper » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:39 pm

This wine seems now to transcend its vintage in that besides a whisper of heft, it is still quite delicate and also vividly acidic. It is truly Ruwer in this sense. The spiciness only embraces and amplifies the acidity and what was a little blurry 6 months ago has now been cleared of staup. Orange and berry fruit, nutmeg, tin and sour-dough get twisted up in this great little wine. Peter Geiben is starting to scare me! 8,5% alc. $20
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Geiben’s Karlsmühle Kaseler Nies’chen Kabinett ‘06

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:58 am

Very consistent & good producer, though I am more enthused about his Nies'chen bottlings that the various Lorenzhofers.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:25 pm

I haven't tried as many Karsmühles as I would wish - the ones I have found have been very, very enjoyable. Thanks for the note! I wish I could find more of the Kaseler Kehrnagel Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel 1997.

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:23 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:This wine seems now to transcend its vintage in that besides a whisper of heft, it is still quite delicate and also vividly acidic. It is truly Ruwer in this sense. The spiciness only embraces and amplifies the acidity and what was a little blurry 6 months ago has now been cleared of staup. Orange and berry fruit, nutmeg, tin and sour-dough get twisted up in this great little wine. Peter Geiben is starting to scare me! 8,5% alc. $20

Bill, I misread your subject "Kaseler, as Kessler, and knew right away I wanted to read the thread. I must have been wrong, because I thought that maybe Betty Lu had stooped to posting here. :-(
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Michael A

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Eugene Oregon

by Michael A » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:17 pm

Bill, I just enjoyed my first wine from Geiben Karlsmuhle last weekend. Very nice style. I will be looking for more also
here are my notes
2004 Geiben Karlsmuhle Kaseler Nies'chen Spatlese
-deep gold with green tints, clear to brilliant, medium weight in the glass.
-light aromas of pineapple and white flowers
-delicate but rich and piquant flavors, nice balance between sweetness and acid, finishes fast and clean.
-I am not experienced with this producer or vineyard site. I liked the freshness, tartness and sweetness, they blended well to me.
8.5% abv, - $27 USD

Michael
"There are more old wine drinkers than old doctors" German proverb
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:48 pm

Michael A wrote:Bill, I just enjoyed my first wine from Geiben Karlsmuhle last weekend. Very nice style. I will be looking for more also
here are my notes
2004 Geiben Karlsmuhle Kaseler Nies'chen Spatlese
-deep gold with green tints, clear to brilliant, medium weight in the glass.
-light aromas of pineapple and white flowers
-delicate but rich and piquant flavors, nice balance between sweetness and acid, finishes fast and clean.
-I am not experienced with this producer or vineyard site. I liked the freshness, tartness and sweetness, they blended well to me.
8.5% abv, - $27 USD

Michael

Thank you Michael,

I am growing increasingly enamored with the wines in the Ruwer. They (especially the Nies'chen and of course the Von Schubert wines) seem to do superbly in warm vintages which gives me hope for the future in light of global warming. The Ruwer finesse and delicacy can make for the some of the most charming wines Germany has to offer. One alarming trend that I hope I'm imagining is the loss of Ruwer cinnamon and 5 spice notes. These seemed more pronounced in cooler, wetter vintages or in lower Oechsle wines (I was happy to find at least a little muscat in the wine above.) I'm hoping to try (and hoping that they're a return to 'norm') Peter Geiben's '07s at the TT tasting Thursday.

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com