The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Deadly Sin Wine Glasses

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Chris

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Jenise's 'hood

Deadly Sin Wine Glasses

by Chris » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:14 am

I just saw these on the Mighty Girl web site. Price available on request.

http://www.kacperhamilton.com/Kacper_Hamilton/Deadly_Glasses.html

Interesting concept.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Deadly Sin Wine Glasses

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:24 pm

Urk! :? How does one store these? Does one pull out lust after the gluttony glass has done it's magic?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:26 pm

Chris wrote:I just saw these on the Mighty Girl web site. Price available on request.

Interesting concept.

Chris, thanks for the link, but I can't help wondering why anyone would even try one? I mean I thought the "O" stemless was far out!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Chris wrote:I just saw these on the Mighty Girl web site. Price available on request.

Interesting concept.

Link's not working here, Chris. BoingBoing subscriber posted the following info today:

I spoke to the designer and got a price.

Hope y'all are ready for pants-crapping...

The set, in a fancy wooden/velvet box is going for $16,750USD...if yer cheap you can get them without the presentation box for $13,400USD.

Granted, it is art and it's a limited edition of 25...I'm just a bit bitter because I loved it and wanted the Wrath glass so much but, unless awesome happens very soon, I'm probably not going to get it.

Oh well.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:47 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Link's not working here, Chris. BoingBoing subscriber posted the following info today:

I spoke to the designer and got a price.

Hope y'all are ready for pants-crapping...

The set, in a fancy wooden/velvet box is going for $16,750USD...if yer cheap you can get them without the presentation box for $13,400USD.

Granted, it is art and it's a limited edition of 25...I'm just a bit bitter because I loved it and wanted the Wrath glass so much but, unless awesome happens very soon, I'm probably not going to get it.

Oh well.

Bob,
Did you hit the lottery this past Saturday? To even want one of these? I mean, retired or not, the $$ is way out of line and the (art?) like I said the "o" stemless.....
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:24 pm

I'm a lover of the O glasses, Bob -- the Deadly Sins don't appeal in any respect. Best, Bob
no avatar
User

Chris

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Jenise's 'hood

by Chris » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:14 pm

Sorry if the link did not work for you. Hate it when that happens.

I agree - more works of art than something that one would use, especially at that price. Ouch! But perhaps a novel item for the oenophile who already has everything.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:07 pm

Bob Ross wrote:I'm a lover of the O glasses, Bob -- the Deadly Sins don't appeal in any respect. Best, Bob

Bob,

I have a set of the Pitiless (sp) no stem glasses, and I love them. I don't use them much because they are so thin. Never the less, I love them. I do not consider them in anyway like the "o" glasses. At least they can be set down and be expected to sit upright.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:42 pm

I'll take a look at the Pitiless[?], Bob.

None of my O's have ever tipped over -- they seem extremely stable. In fact, we've broken only one -- it committed suicide in the dishwasher for reasons never understood. Feel great in the hand, as well. But perhaps that's a bit racy for this company. :)

Best, Bob
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:51 pm

I thoought I knew what the seven deadly sins were but now, after looking at the 'stemware' I don't think I do. I stick to my traditional ones.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:21 am

Bob Ross wrote:I'll take a look at the Pitiless[?], Bob.

None of my O's have ever tipped over -- they seem extremely stable. In fact, we've broken only one -- it committed suicide in the dishwasher for reasons never understood. Feel great in the hand, as well. But perhaps that's a bit racy for this company. :)

Best, Bob

Bob,
I believe that he's referring to the "Les Impitoyables," stemless tasting glasses that used to be advertised in the NY Times Book Review section on a regular basis in the '80s.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:34 am

Thanks, Mark. I found this description online:

Peugeot's Les Impitoyables Le Taster is a universal tasting glass suitable for all wines. Made of extremely thin glass, Le Taster features two dimples, one in the base, the other on the side for the drinker to hold the glass. This glass is intended for quick and accurate tasting only. This type of glass is the preferred style by sommeliers at wine tasting events. Glass comes individually gift boxed in a tube. Height: 4.25" (11 cm).

$36 per glass, and thin. More of an art glass than for actual use -- Bob's made a great choice by leaving his on the shelf, I think.

We paid $20 for four Os -- still have three and use them daily, or at least as daily as a conflict I'm experiencing these day between wine and a drug.

Best, Bob
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:42 am

Bob Ross wrote:
$36 per glass, and thin. More of an art glass than for actual use -- Bob's made a great choice by leaving his on the shelf, I think.

We paid $20 for four Os -- still have three and use them daily, or at least as daily as a conflict I'm experiencing these day between wine and a drug.

Those who've actually used them (Dale W. I think is one) say that the Les Impitoyables accentuate wine flaws, rendering them more suitable for analytical purposes than for drinking wine at dinner. Like you, though, I'm unlikely to ever put that information to the test. I hope that you can resolve those conflicts to your satisfaction, Bob.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:54 am

Thanks, Mark. Doesn't look hopeful at the moment, but I'm trying a new therapeutic which may be better. Best, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Thanks, Mark. I found this description online:

Peugeot's Les Impitoyables Le Taster is a universal tasting glass suitable for all wines. Made of extremely thin glass, Le Taster features two dimples, one in the base, the other on the side for the drinker to hold the glass. This glass is intended for quick and accurate tasting only. This type of glass is the preferred style by sommeliers at wine tasting events. Glass comes individually gift boxed in a tube. Height: 4.25" (11 cm).

Best, Bob

I actually had a guest come to dinner one night with those wine glasses. When she started unpacking, startled, I asked, "What are those for?"

Her unexpected answer: "So I can taste all the flaws in your wines."

To which I said, "Put those back or you're a dead woman."

I invariably think back to that every time the subject of whether it's okay to take glassware to someone else's house comes up. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:10 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Bob,
I believe that he's referring to the "Les Impitoyables," stemless tasting glasses that used to be advertised in the NY Times Book Review section on a regular basis in the '80s.

Mark Lipton

Mark, you are correct in that I was referring to the Les Impitoyables. I do not read nor speak french, but isn't my "pitiless" a loose translation of Les Impitoyables? Anyway you are correct, I just couldn't spell impitoyables.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:36 pm

Mark, you are correct in that I was referring to the Les Impitoyables. I do not read nor speak french, but isn't my "pitiless" a loose translation of Les Impitoyables? Anyway you are correct, I just couldn't spell impitoyables.

I don't really speak French, either, Bob, but fortunately I speak wine (Vinçais perhaps?). You're right, it does translate as "pitiless" and that's how it used to be marketed, on the premise I suppose that wines are beneath our pity? And BTW you've done an admirable job of spelling impitoyables, so no worries! :P

Mark Lipton