The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - NV Prosecco di Valdobbiadene

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

WTN - NV Prosecco di Valdobbiadene

by Alan Wolfe » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:19 pm

NV Prosecco di Valdobbiadene - DOC - Brut - 12% ABV - Imported by Grappoli Imports in Alexandria. $12.99 at Pearson's in D.C. on sale.

I've never had Prosecco before, but based on the favorable reviews on this forum decided to try it. BIG MISTAKE!

This stuff is 'way too easy to drink. Small bubbles, slightly yeasty, citrusy aroma, citrusy on the palate, refreshing, not too sweet I'm pleased to say. I don't have Keith M's palate so sorry I can't do better than that. The bottle was empty too soon. Next time I'm in D.C. I'll buy a case.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN - NV Prosecco di Valdobbiadene

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:39 pm

Alan, PdV is the DOC- which producer?
Sounds good!
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:55 pm

Bottled by Spumanti Gemin, Guglielmo Bortolomiol, Valdobbiadene, Italia. I'm a little over my head here, is that what you wanted to know?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:40 pm

Alan Wolfe wrote:Bottled by Spumanti Gemin, Guglielmo Bortolomiol, Valdobbiadene, Italia. I'm a little over my head here, is that what you wanted to know?

Yes, thanks, I think Bortolomiol is the producer (think Bortolomiol equals Heitz or Phelps, where Prosecco di Valdobbiadene equals Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon)
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:17 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Alan Wolfe wrote:Bottled by Spumanti Gemin, Guglielmo Bortolomiol, Valdobbiadene, Italia. I'm a little over my head here, is that what you wanted to know?

Yes, thanks, I think Bortolomiol is the producer (think Bortolomiol equals Heitz or Phelps, where Prosecco di Valdobbiadene equals Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon)

If only Italian labels were so easy to decipher (and this one is less confusing than many) . . .

Bartolomiol is indeed a producer of Prosecco di Valdobbiadene, but the PdV that both Alan and I had was produced by Spumante Gemin which I believe was founded and is operated by Guglielmo Bortolomiol. I have corrected my other post to reflect this.

Label details aside, it looks as if Alan enjoyed the wine as much as I did--and at that price a case purchase would indeed be tempting. And, if you ever find some left at the bottom of the bottle (perhaps the second bottle?), I found it held together quite nicely for a second day. And Alan if you find another prosecco that floats your boat, give a holler, as I'm always looking to broaden my horizons and acquaint myself with new producers. Thanks for the note!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:51 am

You found a good place to start, Alan

Prosecco is the name of a grape variety as well as the name of a style of sparkling wine made from the Prosecco variety.

There is nothing to stop a winemaker who uses Prosecco grapes to put the name Prosecco on the bottle, so quality,style etc can vary considerably, and indeed you can buy Prosecco by the glass from a beer-like pump in Italian bars.

But the DoC Valdobbiadene regulates Prosecco made in its area, and there is a smaller area inside which entitles the use of the Cartizze DoC which is considered superior.

There are indeed some cracking good Proseccos, especially if you get a Conegliano Valdobbiadene or Cartizze DOC.
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:32 am

Peter May wrote:Prosecco is the name of a grape variety . . .

True.

. . . as well as the name of a style of sparkling wine made from the Prosecco variety.

Not true, however. The correct name of the style (slightly sparkling) is "Frizzante" and can always be found on the label. (Fully sparkling Prosecco would be "Spumante".)

That many, many use "prosecco" as a synonym for frizzante — on both sides of the pond, btw — is another question. We should stick to the facts.
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:01 pm

Michael,

most of the Prosecco we drink in the US is Spumante, not Frizzante. I don't know which the original post refers to, though.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines