The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lots from Spain plus Kefraya from Lebanon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Lots from Spain plus Kefraya from Lebanon

by Jay Labrador » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:01 pm

Notes from the presentation of the new wines carried by Barcino Gourmet.

Marques de Alella 2007 - The grape is Pansa Blanca which I've never heard of. Medium sweet, melony, kiwi fruit. Very nice, friendly. 12% alcohol but it feels much lighter.

Beronia Viura 2006 - From Rioja. A letdown after the Alella. Very light, watery, with faint flavor. Palate-cleansing in a waterish kind of way. I don't really see much use for this wine except as a thirst quencher, I guess.

Castillo Irache Tempranillo 2006 - Fruity nose. Juicy, fruity and unadorned by oak. Easy, uncomplicated quaffer but very good for this style.

Gran Irache Crianza 2003 - Tempranillo, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Nice nose. Very soft, juicy. Quite light with a dry finish. Good to drink now.

Castillo Irache Reserva 1999 - Tempranillo, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Deep berry nose. Sweet fruit. Already smooth but could probably do with a bit more short-term cellaring as there is still some tannin in the finish. Good acidity. Well-balanced, fairly complex wine. Very good.

Real Irache Gran Reserva 1996 - Good nose but the extended aging has muted the fruit too much, I think. High acidity. Not my type. I prefer the Reserva.

Basagoiti Crianza 2005 - Rioja. Nose of fragrant wood. Close to international in style but not quite there yet. Slightly musty and a little hot. Sweet, overripe, baked fruit. Not my type.

Chateau Kefraya Lebanon 2002 - Served blind. Helen figured out it wasn't Spanish. While Barcino Gourmet is a Spanish-Catalan place, they are looking to expand their wine selections to include Lebanon and possibly Greece. Cabernet Sauvignon, Carignan, Mourvedre, Grenache and Syrah. Very dark. Nice nose. Firm wine. Quite modern in style. Ripe fruit. Very good.

Felix Callejo Reserva de la Familia 2005 - From Ribera del Duero and one of the high scoring Spanish wines from a recent issue of the Wine Advocate. 97 points if I'm not mistaken. Heavy bottle. A little hot. Sweet fruit. Spicy. Oaky finish but otherwise the wood is well-integrated. Rather modern. Excellent but the prospective price is prohibitive.

Cava Parxet Cuvee Dessert Dolc - NV I think. Deep pink. Medium sweet. Nice, pleasant.

Josefina Pinol Mistela 2007 - Made from Garnacha Blanca. I have enjoyed the Red Garnacha version of this dessert wine and this is also very impressive. Lovely stuff. Sweet, smooth, velvety. Grape skins texture. Some coffee and very light orange. Very long. Outstanding.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.