The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: What is Fiano supposed to be like?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: What is Fiano supposed to be like?

by Saina » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:18 pm

If like this, I'm a fan. Previous examples available here have been very bland - tap water was more interesting. This one is the first Fiano that I've tasted with character. What producers should I look for? And is that oxidative aspect even in such a young wine something typical of Fiano or did I like this because I like oxidation (old Champagne, Sherry, tawny port....)

• 2006 Vesevo Fiano di Avellino - Italy, Campania, Fiano di Avellino (6/19/2008)
    Gold. The smell reminds me a bit of Champagne (!) with its apple, floral and red toned fruit - it is slightly oxidative, but that doesn't bother me. Quite full body and strong, red toned fruit, appley/oxidative, but lemony and very mineral. Very refreshing and I enjoyed it very much.
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN: What is Fiano supposed to be like?

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:06 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:I is that oxidative aspect even in such a young wine something typical of Fiano

I would say it is typical of good Fiano, Otto. I don't get to drink as much of it as I might like - it's one of my favorite Southern Italian whites - but I do tend to think of subtly oxidative aromatics along with things like beeswax and honey and almonds accompanying a structured, medium-bodied wine.

Feudi San Gregorio and Terradora are a couple of usually reliable labels that turn up around here. Also Romano Clelia and Santa Lucia.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: What is Fiano supposed to be like?

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I would say it is typical of good Fiano, Otto. I don't get to drink as much of it as I might like - it's one of my favorite Southern Italian whites - but I do tend to think of subtly oxidative aromatics along with things like beeswax and honey and almonds accompanying a structured, medium-bodied wine.

Feudi San Gregorio and Terradora are a couple of usually reliable labels that turn up around here. Also Romano Clelia and Santa Lucia.

I second the vote for the Terradora fiano Robin, Too bad it is about $23-24 per bottle now days though. I also like the Terradora Greco di Tufo a lot as well.
Bob Henrick