The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Five wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Five wines

by Florida Jim » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:50 am

2006 Weil, Riesling Estate Trocken:
First glass isn’t giving much; second glass is much better – pure floral and citrus aromas, nice fruit, spice and tonic water flavors and good length. Needs a quick decant and is a charming starter wine or accompaniment to lighter fare. I buy a case of this yearly.

2002 Alain Demon, Côte Roannaise Réserve La Perrière:
Concentrated, integrated but straight-forward gamay; a little more earthy than Beaujolais, a little less bright, as well. Good wine but not worth the wait.

2004 Tenuta delle Terre Nere, Etna Rosso Calderara Sottana:
A distinct milk chocolate note here with a light cherry note, some earthen tones and a bit of brown sugar (without the sweetness of sugar); elegant in the mouth with flavors that follow the nose, light-weight, clean and integrated; medium length. Nerello mascalese, often thought of us as a blending grape that provides alcohol and color, can also make wine that tastes delicious, doesn’t go over 14% and vints out translucent – and here it is. Sort of pinot noir-esque in texture and weight. Pretty stuff.

2001 Sella, Lessona:
Characteristic nebbiolo smells and flavors in a medium to lightweight package, intense, layered, balanced and long. The acidity here is the perfect foil for food and the flavors are mostly in the earthy spectrum. $20 ay Astor right now.

2004 Dom. Leroy, Bourgogne:
Very primary and a bit stemmy – but there’s more to this; density, concentration, focus – all in a latent mode. Not time to drink this but it still went well with pasta in a mushroom sauce – mostly because of its elegance and weight. Deserves future consideration.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Five wines

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:26 am

Jim - given your love of inexpensive, dry-style Riesling, have you considered the Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett Halbtrocken? Despite the halbtrockn title it's pretty darned dry, and what minimal sugar it has only gives it a greater richness, rather than a real sense of sweetness. I buy a case of it every year.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:18 am

Burghound suggests that the 04 Leroy Bourgogne should not be drunk before 2012. Apparently, in 2004 "Lalou Bize-Leroy took the most extraordinary step of declassifying all of her upper level wines to villages level, creating in the process the most striking examples that I have ever tasted for their respective appellations. (...) Mme. Bize ... explained that when her late husband Marcel Bize passed away, she became seriously depressed and found it difficult to take her normal interest her wines and even though she has a very capable team in place to look after them, she found the wines lacking in vibrancy and the level of quality with which she believes are what her clients deserve to find in the wines of the domaine. Thus, she elected to declassify all of them..." About this particular wine, Meadows says "As one might reasonably expect, this is by far and away the most complex nose I have ever experienced with a so-called Bourgogne, revealing notes of red raspberry, spice, earth and violets that are followed by rich, classy and stylish flavors that possess a textured, pure and wonderfully refined finish that goes on and on. This is of top 1er quality and while the structure is supple, this clearly will age."
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:51 am

David,
I've never seen it in my markets.

Oswald,
I'm aware of the story behind this vintage - after all, when was the last time one so a Domaine Bourgogne from Leroy? And then there's the price . . .
It would not surprise me if Allen's call on drink date is correct but I have several so I thought I'd see for myself.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:31 am

Florida Jim wrote:I have several so I thought I'd see for myself.

Good for you, Jim, unfortunately the price was such that I only bought one, out of curiosity, so must wait (what seems like an eternity) until 2012...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.