The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Summer begins

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Summer begins

by Mark S » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:23 pm

My solution to high heat? Bring on the bruisers, the big wines, the alcolpops...okay, maybe not the latter, but I've had some big wines recently and some in mid-90F weather.

Chateau Pavie macquin, St. Emillion, 1999
Medium-dark cranberry red. Musky boysenberry, red children's vitamin, and fresh wood mulch on the nose. Blackberry and kukicha tea, bright acidity, and a mineral, slightly tannic finish. Medium-bodied. Surprisingly food friendly, but for spoof-haters: Stay Away. B+

Peyre Rose, Coteaux du Languedoc, 'Clos des Cistes', 1998
Very dark, deep cherry color. Opens perfumey at first, then nose retreats into a shell and becomes mute and unyielding, except for a whiff of Italian plum. More going on in the mouth: smoky dark plums with a rose-gardenia note to it, thick dark cherry, black raspberry, warm tomato sauce note, very warm and Southern in feel with substantial chewy - but smooth - tannins. I'd suggest keeping this for another 5-6 years before touching again. B+

Domaine Paul Pernot, Rommard, 'Noizons', 1999
Fading ruby with orange rind color. Red cherry and cinnamon spice distantly on the nose. Dry cranberry and redcurrants with a sumac tea finish. Some rust in the finish in a lightly masculine way. Simple, but appealing wine, in a fully mature state. B/B+

Texier, Cotes du Rhone, 'Brezeme, (blanc), 2001
I underestimated this when I had it upon release. It has only gotten better, but still has that occulded brassy olive oil color to it, like somebody just shook up a bottle of EVOO. Portland cement mix on the nose and yellow bulb flowers are still there, but this has become fuller and better developed with time. Kudos! B+

Matteo Correggia, Roero, 'Roche d'Ampsej', 1999
'Pimp your Nebbiolo!' might normally be a bad thing to witness to, but in this ripe year, it works to an extant. Deeply colored maroon-ruby red with closed-in aromas of cherry pie and rosehip jam, deep and brooding with some lavender lift at the end. Aromas echo on the palate, with the addition of strawberry flowers toward the tight finish (from both wood and ripe grapes). Good, but needs time. 4-5 years say I. modern styled, but Piedmont shows through. More heat showed through the next day, unfortunately... 14.5%

Sella, Lesona, 2001
Nebbiolo & vespolina blend. Medium pale old vintage Port color. Cinnamon nose and fennel. Cinnamon raisin bread and chalky tannins on the light, drying finish. Seems ready to go now, but could hold for the next 4-5 years. A-/B+

Alain Graillot, Crozes hermitage, (blanc), 2005
Bronzish medium-light gold. Burnt honey and spring flowers on an otherwise pretty neutral nose. Vague floral scent, dried apricots and pear skin. Shows slight heat toward the end. Would buy again if cheaper (this bottle ran about $28), but not something to search out. B+

Serafin, Gevrey Chambertin, 2001
Lightish cranberry-ruby red. Medicinal, swampy, red berry nose, with fresh mint on the end. This shows red fruit and chewy wood/oak on the finish. Drinking well here, and definately a better match with meat than without it. Decent, for the price (under $20). B/B+
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Summer begins

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:45 pm

You know I've never gotten up the nerve to hate Pavie, Pavie Macquin, Pavie Decesse, etc. They still taste like Bodeaux to me - big Bordeaux, but Bordeaux.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Summer begins

by Jenise » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:42 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:You know I've never gotten up the nerve to hate Pavie, Pavie Macquin, Pavie Decesse, etc. They still taste like Bodeaux to me - big Bordeaux, but Bordeaux.

Ditto.

Mark, had to read the Brezeme description twice to realize that you were talking about a white wine, not red. Had my head spinning there for a minute with the olive oil color and portland cement!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov