The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WEN: Profound Italian White (and some White Burgundies)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WEN: Profound Italian White (and some White Burgundies)

by Brian K Miller » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:58 pm

Had to go the City today to attend a lecture sponsored by the local regional planning agency (pretty neat talk by a very intellectual landscape architect!). It was HOT today-even in San Francisco-but darn it, I was still going to do a long walk after the meeting! I love the City...so.

Ended up, as I always seem to, at Terroir Wine Bar. Despite my predilection, it was NOT red wine day :(

So...Tried three awesome whites. The high point was the 2006 Paolo Bea Santa Chiara (Umbria)-Grechetto, Malvasia, Sauvignon Blanc, Garganego. What an utterly delicious and unique and STRANGE wine. Definitely some oxidized color-Dagon said that some someliers sell this as a desert wine, but it is not "sweet" at all. There was so much going on, but I definitely tasted almonds, peach, and plenty of white pepper . I found this an astonishing wine. 95 points+??? Awesome!

Perhaps more appropriate for the record-breaking heat was the 2004 De Moor Saint Bris-an appellation of Chablis where they use Sauvignon Blanc! Not the usual somewhat insipd Sauvignon Blanc, this interesting white had a greenish cast. Oodles of minerals but what I really liked was the distinct "lime" character to the flavors. I love lime-enough to juice limes without any sugar! I thought this was a delicious wine=perfect for summer. For $15, how can you go wrong? 90 points+

The 2003 De Moor "Planatation 1902" Aligote was my first taste of this grape, and I loved it. Smoother and richer, with more layers than the Saint Bris, I tasted some savory notes and white peaches, with good acidity and minerality. I tasted no new oak. Not as cheap as the Saint Bris, but a step up in concentration and interest. 91.5 points.

They also had open the 2001 Domaine Trevaiillon Rhone red. Darn, this was showing well today. Just had a taste,. but this was one of those wines that you kept your nose in the glass. I could only carry so much back to BART, but this is on my list!

Great wine tasting. My patriotic unease in often preferring French wine is somewhat mollified by the fact that the Red Hawk Sonoma County cheese I had with the wine today is as good as any French cheese I've ever had! :P :twisted:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

Re: WEN: Profound Italian White (and some White Burgundies)

by Patti L » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:06 am

How lucky you are! I love San Francisco. I've been watching the weather, warmer than usual.

Thank you for sharing your notes! I'll try to find those here, if not, I have a wine guy that can usually order them in.
Patti
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:42 am

Patti: The Bea is imported by Neal Rosenthal

The De Moors are imported by Vintage 59 out of Washington DC.

Hope your cellar didn't get flooded. Pretty awful. :(
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:56 am

Thank you for the information Brian.

I'm one of the lucky ones that didn't get flooded. I'm on the Mississippi, and while it got high, it wasn't devastating, like in other areas.

I'm very fortunate.
Patti
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:51 am

Nice to open a thread and find aligote and sauvignon blanc as the white Burgundies under reference :D
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:18 am

LOL, Rahsaan. Had no idea they grew SB in Burgundy, and this was my very first Aligote!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:30 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:LOL, Rahsaan. Had no idea they grew SB in Burgundy, and this was my very first Aligote!

They grow Pinot Blanc (or is that Pinot Gouges?), there, too, Brian. Good luck finding any, though.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:16 pm

nice notes Brian, Aligote is indeed a very nice summer white..I wasn't aware Bea made any white wines....Bea is one of the masters., albeit not exactly from a trendy area so he tends to be a bit under the radar for those who tend to follow Tuscany and Piedmont .His reds from Montefalco are superb..
Jon
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:20 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:LOL, Rahsaan. Had no idea they grew SB in Burgundy, and this was my very first Aligote!

They grow Pinot Blanc (or is that Pinot Gouges?), there, too, Brian. Good luck finding any, though.

Mark Lipton

Bruno Clair uses around 20% Pinot Blanc in his Marsannay Blanc. While it isn't a pure bottling, it isn't too hard to find stateside. Very good for the price!
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com