The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: One lump or two?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: One lump or two?

by Keith M » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:00 am

So . . . if I understand things right, the cava brut nature had no sugar included in the liqueur d'expédition/dosage topping off the sparkling wine after it had completed secondary fermentation, whereas the Sekt had no sugar included in the liqueur de tirage used to start the secondary fermentation--depending instead on residual sugar left over from the primary fermentation of the base wine. Either way, it's all good here . . .

2006 Meinklang Pinot Noir Blanc de Noir Frizzante (Burgenland, Austria) flat-topped T-cork secured with waxed string, 13.5% - imported to USA by Siema, Springfield, Virginia – appears deepish rose color with lots of foam when poured, clinging bubbles, slow few bubbles moving, smell intense, herbal candycane (I’ve never had one, but if I ever encountered it, this is what a herbal candycane would smell like), bit of concrete and construction site, this is an intriguing nose and I am already liking this wine, mouthfeel has just a touch of viscosity, but then lots of bubbles bound together with softness, firm softness I like, taste feels like cherry syrup from thousands of years ago where the sweetness has long faded but the intensity and somehow the freshness remains, tart cherries, twigs and stones, hints of residual sugar balanced by tons of tang, feels like I am drinking an archeological find and I dig it, unique awesome stuff, at $15 a repeat purchase is a no-brainer

2003 Mont-Ferrant Cava Blanes Nature Brut Extra Cuvée Ureña (Cava DO, Catalunya, Spain) – imported to USA by Pacific Estates, Petaluma, California - appears bright pale gold, tons of bubble movement, large and small, smell cold rocks, some honeyed sweetness, bright chipper, like freshness intensity and rockiness of nose, mouthfeel tight sharp little bubbles, nice fade into flavor, yet soft, I like, taste intense lime, lots of fruit without any sugar, intense rocky finish, almost toward heat, yet not, just amazing intense dry rocky flavor again and again, even better integrated on day two, amazing grip without being overpowering, this wine rocks, happy ground for me at $22

2004 Steininger Riesling Sekt (Kamptal, Niederösterreich, Austria) 13% - imported to USA by Klaus Wittauer selections, Select Wines, Chantilly, Virginia – appears deep gold, slow tiny bubble movement, smell very direct, grapefruit, slight sweet, slight bare yeast, peaches, focused herbs and rocks, powerful nose, almost floral, reminded me of a Gewürztraminer at times, mouthfeel heavy but with some light-handed foam, taste intense spätlese feel, again the texture is a big element to this wine, herbs and rocky, feels like sliding a slippery slope of rocks with lichens growing on them and only the occasional bit of syrup slows the ride and provides something to grasp onto, some lime and blueberry here but tons of apricots or peaches immersed in their own syrup, thickness and the presence of a still wine, rocks on the finish, this wine was very different and it was a lot of fun, by day two the bubbles had faded, but the wine still had verve, a fun sparkling wine that hasn’t let go of its still wine roots, a fun slide for $21, I’d do it again
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: WTN: One lump or two?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:28 pm

Keith M wrote: taste feels like cherry syrup from thousands of years ago where the sweetness has long faded but the intensity and somehow the freshness remains, tart cherries, twigs and stones, hints of residual sugar balanced by tons of tang, feels like I am drinking an archeological find and I dig it, unique awesome stuff, at $15 a repeat purchase is a no-brainer

Must.Find.This.

Thanks for the notes, Keith!
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:43 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Keith M wrote: taste feels like cherry syrup from thousands of years ago where the sweetness has long faded but the intensity and somehow the freshness remains, tart cherries, twigs and stones, hints of residual sugar balanced by tons of tang, feels like I am drinking an archeological find and I dig it, unique awesome stuff, at $15 a repeat purchase is a no-brainer

Must.Find.This.

Thanks for the notes, Keith!

Cynthia,

Klaus imports this too. It might also be possible to find it under the Michlits label (both the same wine, but imported by different sources. I can't remember if the Sekt is done in both labels or not.)

Keith, I love that Steininger Riesling Sekt. The last one I tasted was a 1996 -They're Good for the cellar.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:23 pm

Nice notes for wines that I don't usually come across..

Keith M wrote:2006 Meinklang Pinot Noir Blanc de Noir Frizzantefeels like I am drinking an archeological find and I dig it

This is funny because if the 2006 already tastes like an archeological dig one wonders what is in store for it over the next few years. :wink:
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:54 pm

Thanks, Bill!
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:38 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Keith, I love that Steininger Riesling Sekt. The last one I tasted was a 1996 -They're Good for the cellar.

That's good to know--I did not know of its aging potential.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Meinklang

by JC (NC) » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:50 pm

Interesting. I bought three bottles of the Meinklang Pinot Noir (still wine) through Carolina Wine Company but haven't tried one yet. Will get to it this summer, maybe over 4th of July weekend.