The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: M2, Matthews, L'Ecole

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: M2, Matthews, L'Ecole

by Jenise » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:50 pm

Some recent reds:

2003 M2 Vintners Fair Play Syrah, Perry Creek Estate, 15.2%
This went through a jammy stage but it's showing beautifully right now. Not at all over the top in spite of the alcohol, everything's integrated and it has a respectable amount of reserve about the raspberry fruit with some leathery secondary development beginning to show. Should continue to evolve.

1999 Matthews Red Wine, Washington
It might be in a bit of a dormant stage right now, but if it's not then this wine's kind of drying up and heading out to pasture, in line with past bottles. It was drinkable last night with green chile rubbed roast filet mignon on pan-fried potatoes with shallots and a morel cream sauce, but it provided no pleasure on its own. David Bueker, I know your bottles were showing in general better than mine, but have you had one of these in awhile?

2001 L'Ecole No. 41 Merlot, Washington
I served this alongside the Matthews, and it was by far the more satisfying wine. It's in a good place right now and possibly at peak, with bright red fruits, cocoa notes and some saddle leather. Delish!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dick Bueker

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:19 pm

Harrisonburg, VA

Re: WTN: M2, Matthews, L'Ecole

by Dick Bueker » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:50 pm

I had the '99 a few months ago. It was fine. Very Bordeaux like. David and I split the shipment.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: M2, Matthews, L'Ecole

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:40 pm

I have not had one since September 2006. Looks like time to check in again. Perhaps a vertical is in order if I can get some slightly cooler weather.
Decisions are made by those who show up