The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: How GREEN is my VALLEY?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: How GREEN is my VALLEY?

by JC (NC) » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:46 pm

Wherein I try a Patricia GREEN Pinot Noir and a Williams Selyem Pinot Noir, Russian River VALLEY

2005 Williams Selyem Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
13.9% alcohol
A pretty deep garnet jeweled color with some transparency. Violets and plums on the nose. Very smooth and velvety on the palate. Soft tannins on the finish. As it aerates, the plum morphs into cherries. Long finish. Delicious! Went nicely with smoked wild sockeye salmon from Maine, the salmon served at room temperature and embellished only with lemon jice and dill weed. I had only one Oregon Pinot Noir on hand so went with the Williams Selyem for the salmon and was gratified by the result. The WS was okay with shrimp bisque the second evening but excellent with the salmon. The salmon doesn't distract from the wine, and the wine doesn't distract from the salmon.

2005 Patricia Green Cellars Quail Hill Pinot Noir, Washington County (Oregon? there is also a Quail Hill in Sonoma County I believe and one in hotter regions of California)
13.5% alcohol
Powdery volcanic soil over hard clay sub-soil. Dijon 115 clone
Purple color, viscous texture, opaque.
Dark fruits and pine needles on nose. Slightly brooding qulaity on palate. Not thrilled with this, possibly because I opened it the same night I was finishing the Williams Selyem RRV Pinot Noir which I judged to be an outstanding wine. My first wine from Patricia Green.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: How GREEN is my VALLEY?

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:24 pm

I have taken to getting a few bottles here and there of W-S. I always (with one exception) have liked them.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:51 am

David, do you obtain them through the mailing list? I have been on the list for about three vintages now and usually purchase three to five bottles a year although the Allen Vineyard is pushing my price limits and I have passed on the Westside Road Neighbors due to the price.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:05 pm

Jane,
I have as a rule liked the generic RR Valley bottling from Williams-Selyem quite a bit and, like you, steered clear of some of the pricier single vyd offerings from W-S. I've also had their "Sonoma Coast" bottling, too: lighter, more forward but also quite tasty.

Mark Lipton