The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Semi-blind tasting of Australian shiraz (Shiraz Shootout)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Semi-blind tasting of Australian shiraz (Shiraz Shootout)

by JC (NC) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:50 pm

Last Saturday I attended a free semi-blind tasting of Australian Shiraz at Carolina Wine Company. I didn't attempt to guess which wine was which but wrote down very brief comments and scored each wine on a 100-pt. scale per retailer's wishes. I was rushed as I got there 30 minutes before closing time and wanted to also make some purchases. It was interesting that out of 8 wines tried, two of my three favorites were ones I have purchased in the past.
My top three I gave scores of 94, 93, and 92 points (more to compare wine-to-wine than to say this is necessarily a 94-pt. wine.)

My top wine (which I have purchased previously) was the 2003 DOG RIDGE DV7 SHIRAZ. My comments were nice nose, fruity berries with a little pepper spice. 94 pts.

My second wine was the more expensive 2003 DOG RIDGE MVP SHIRAZ. (This was the overall winner in the Raleigh and Charlotte CWC tastings.) My comments were rich, fruity, easy drinking, slight pepper on the finish. 93 pts.

My third wine (which I have purchased in the past and which won a gold medal in a Sydney competition) was the 2004 THORPE SHIRAZ. Once again I rated this higher than the 2004 Thorpe Shiraz Reserve (I gave the reserve 86 points.) 92 pts. Comments: dark, opaque, oaky nose, rich dark fruit, approachable.

Next at 89 points I had the 2003 MT. BILLY "ANTIQUITY" SHIRAZ (I have one bottle that I purchased without a prior tasting.) Dark and opaque, nice but tannic, slightly bitter finish, long finish, curranty and tobacco.

I gave 88 points to the 2004 SCHILD BAROSSA SHIRAZ. Tastes a little hot but approachable; calls for beef or lamb.

I ascribed 87 points to the 2005 GREENOCK CREEK SEVEN ACRE SHIRAZ. Only comment was dark berries.

Then the 2004 THORPE RESERVE SHIRAZ with 86 points--concentrated, lingering finish, dark raspberry.

My low score of the tasting, 84-85 points went to 2003 WYNN'S MICHAEL SHIRAZ (I usually like Wynn's Cabernet Sauvignon.) This came after the 2004 Thorpe Shiraz and Mt. Billy in order of tasting and I found it to taste a bit thin after the first two although viscous. Also less opaque than the first two.

I hope Carolina Wine Company will post further results and comments from the Raleigh and Charlotte store tastings.