The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Boatload of Cheap Chileans

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Boatload of Cheap Chileans

by Jenise » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:02 pm

I checked two local sources of Chilean wines yesterday and basically bought every cab they had, plus some chardonnays and two SB's. Every wine Chilean wine available was under $16. No M's, Apaltas or Cuvee Alexanders, which will have to be ordered. And nothing in between.

Even though the topic of the neighborhood tasting will be Cabernet, we'll buy some whites for self-pour wines during the set-up portion of the evening. We planned to do chardonnay because somehow that seems like the logical fit with cabernet, but out of curiosity I also bought two Sauvignon Blancs, and they changed everything. Chardonnay's out. All the whites were $8ish, and the reds $9-12 except the Marques, which was $16.

The whites:

2006 Veramonte Reserve SB
Robust citrus fruit, grass and gooseberry. Lot of flavor and style here for the price. B+

2007 Haras Estate, Maipo Valley,
More restrained by comparison to the Veramonte, with white nectarine fruit, grass, mild gosseberry, and dust. I love dust, and this was my favorite of the two by a nose, though the other tasters preferred the Veramonte. Both are great, though, especially for the price. B+

2005 Santa Rita 101 chardonnay
Sweet and indistinct. Not only no varietal character, no character of any kind. I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't notice when I purchased--wines in this price category move so well around here one doesn't generally have to be on guard. Still, reject! D

2006 Los Vascos chardonnay
Light of color and body, and also lacking varietal character. I was surprised--I've had past vintages of LV chardonnays that have shown bold and minerally like a good Macon. Not this one. D

2007 Trader Joe's Vinas Chilenos chardonnay
Sweet lime citrus fruit, and somewhat dilute but easily the better of the three. C-

The reds:

2006 Calina Reserva
Simple, monochromatic, little typicity or structure. Eh. C-

2006 Los Vascos (regular)
More cabbish than the Calina, but green-tinged and boring. C-

2007 Cono Sur Cab/Carmenere (60/40)
Pretty nose with red and black fruit, caraway and chocolate. Bluish color. No finish. Best so far but that's not saying much. C

2007 Concha Y Toro Casillero del Diablo
Now here, at last, is a real cabernet. Black cherry and plum fruit, mint, oak, smoke, good body and an obvious step way up in seriousness. Impressive for $9.49. This goes in the tasting. B-

2005 Concha Y Toro Marques de Casa
Cedary red and black fruit, mint and pepper. Held up well all night. Excellent for the price, it goes in the tasting. B+

2005 Casa Lapostolle (regular)
Good varietal character, black cherry and blackberry, and dust. The label claims it's a ten year wine and we believe it. Another finalist for the tasting. B

2006 Root:1
The marketing people did well here as this is a smashing looking bottle. No label, all paint-print from shoulder to punt. Looks organic and "crunchy". But the wine's lightweight fruity, "smooth", depthless and simple with a milky malolactic streak. D

2006 Veramonte
Lighter bodied than the CyT's and Lapostolle, but it's balanced and has pretty much all the right stuff in all the right places, and no obvious flaws. Not bad. C+
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Boatload of Cheap Chileans

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:07 pm

Tough sledding.

I'm not shocked that the Concha Y Toro wines would at least be good. The rest speak to extreme disappointment.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:11 pm

"Tough sledding." Actually, considering that I'm hard to impress and had such low expectations going in, it was quite the success to find five above average wines in this price range. And it made for a very entertaining night in which I got Chilean-calibrated, and I'll take all the leftovers to a bocce ball tournament this afternoon and be everyone's hero. No regrets!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:32 pm

Bingo, the only Chileans I find myself buying every now and then are the sauvignon blancs. Again, no typicity, but the best taste like Kiwi SB and cost half the price here in Brazil. Though you didn't mention finding them similar to NZ, you did mention the gooseberry note, probably the single most common descriptor (I think) of Kiwi SB.

I'll look for the two you tried - my favorite among the sauvingons I've tried are the Cono Sur and the Nimbus. The Los Vascos is quite decent, but closer to Loire.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:50 am

Jenise wrote:2006 Root:1
The marketing people did well here as this is a smashing looking bottle. No label, all paint-print from shoulder to punt. Looks organic and "crunchy". But the wine's lightweight fruity, "smooth", depthless and simple with a milky malolactic streak. D

D'oh! I wish I had picked up on this before I praised this wine (for QPR) in today's Wine Advisor. Now I'm trying to figure what I missed. ;) Did you have the wines with food or alone, Jenise? I did think that juicy grass-fed beefburgers brought it up quite a bit.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:53 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Bingo, the only Chileans I find myself buying every now and then are the sauvignon blancs. Again, no typicity, but the best taste like Kiwi SB and cost half the price here in Brazil. Though you didn't mention finding them similar to NZ, you did mention the gooseberry note, probably the single most common descriptor (I think) of Kiwi SB.

I'll look for the two you tried - my favorite among the sauvingons I've tried are the Cono Sur and the Nimbus. The Los Vascos is quite decent, but closer to Loire.

Based on just two examples I didn't want to generalize about New Zealand, but you're exactly right that it was in my mind when I mentioned gooseberry. I'm going to pick up more of the Haras--love that dusty, chalky limestone thing. Judging by your tasting notes I think you would also prefer it to the Veramonte, but the latter's also worthy of your attention.

By the way, an update about the reds, which I retried yesterday afternoon. None of the wines opened Saturday showed better for me, but the Los Vascos, which was opened Friday and reopened Saturday, and just casually reclosed with the original cork? It showed much better yesterday, with green notes receding and a solid core of savoury notes and fruit and no oxidation whatsoever. That hints at short-term, anyway, aging potential. Who knew?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jenise wrote:2006 Root:1

D'oh! I wish I had picked up on this before I praised this wine (for QPR) in today's Wine Advisor. Now I'm trying to figure what I missed. ;) Did you have the wines with food or alone, Jenise? I did think that juicy grass-fed beefburgers brought it up quite a bit.

Oh no! I better go read your post. Both alone AND with food, but not beef, to answer your question. What might have made the most differnece, however, is that it was tasted alongside better wines with more varietal character.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:00 am

When this topic came up before, I stayed out cuz I didn't want to be a naysayer. My experience with Chilean wines has not been good. Of course I've not bought the really high end ones... for those prices I'll stick with France or CA or Italy, places and producers I know. On the low end, well, your general experience has been mine. It doesn't seem worth the effort...there are plenty of inexpensive Spanish, CA, Idaho, Oregon, NZ, etc. wines if I want to go in that direction.

I'm sure there are those who will disagree. I just have given up on Chile.
Cheers, Jim