The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN 2005 JJ Prum Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Spatlese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

WTN 2005 JJ Prum Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Spatlese

by Michael K » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:40 pm

I tried looking for a tn on this here as I'm pretty sure that someone must have reviewed this one by now but did not find it so here it goes.

Opened this up for a curry chicken dinner that had a bit of heat to go along with it. This wine served up well and stood up to a rather strong curry. VERY pretty color, very light pale straw gold with just a breath's hint of green.

Nose was also very attractive, elegant, reserved, but vibrant, of stone fruits, peaches, some light honey, apricot and just a hint of lime peel. On the mouth, creamy smooth at first and then the nice structure comes through, crisp, focused, minerally, just light to the senses yet elegant and definitely there. Finish was just perfect, just long and lingering.

I've not had a riesling this good in some time. I really liked this bottle from the first sight of the wine. If you can get this bottle, do so, I can't think of a better $40 bottle of wine right now.
no avatar
User

Felix Warners

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:55 pm

Netherlands, Zandvoort and Zeist

Re: WTN 2005 JJ Prum Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Spatlese

by Felix Warners » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:31 am

Sounds brilliant! Did you had some reductive/sulphur notes on the nose?
I bought some of the 2005 Badstube Auslese and now I'm very glad I did, maybe it is time to open a bottle and see where it is at.
Thanks for the note, I will keep my eyes out for this wine.
"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:58 am

2005 is the best vintage for the Badstube in my drinking experience. Of course Prum (and also Selbach-Oster and Loosen) owns some very fine land in the site, so their wines should be excellent, but 2005 is beyond that.

Prum also did very well in the Badstube in 2003.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:39 am

I agree with David. I just had a 2005 Badstube Spätlese from little known Hansen-Lauer which was very nice indeed and cost no more than $10.

Greetings / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:50 pm

Felix Warners wrote:Sounds brilliant! Did you had some reductive/sulphur notes on the nose?
I bought some of the 2005 Badstube Auslese and now I'm very glad I did, maybe it is time to open a bottle and see where it is at.
Thanks for the note, I will keep my eyes out for this wine.

Unfortunately I did not open the bottle but when I got to it (after about an hour), I did not notice anything like that.