The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2003 Markus Molitor Niedermenniger Herrenberg Kabinett R

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Felix Warners

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:55 pm

Netherlands, Zandvoort and Zeist

TN: 2003 Markus Molitor Niedermenniger Herrenberg Kabinett R

by Felix Warners » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:51 am

2003 Markus Molitor Niedermenniger Herrenberg Kabinett Riesling Feinherb:
I love this wine. From the wines I tasted at Markus Molitor a few weeks ago this was already one of my favourites. This is the second bottle I opened of this wine and both have been brilliant.
The wine has a lively golden colour. The nose is slightly reductive combined with a lot of fresh fruits: apricots, white peaches, oranges. There is also a hint of cinnamon plus there is an extra dimension somehow to the nose which is typical to Mosel Rieslings but which I find hard to put into words.
The taste is just extremely fresh and you just want to drink the whole bottle. The wine has bitters but these are in perfect balance with the bit of sweetness that is still there. Wine has good length and depth and doesn’t show his age. I bought this for 9,80€, this is for me an absolute winner.
"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: 2003 Markus Molitor Niedermenniger Herrenberg Kabinett R

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:54 am

Felix,

While I am familiar with Molitor, I am not familiar with the site you mention. Is this perhaps a less well exposed site that was able to withstand the 2003 heat?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Felix Warners

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:55 pm

Netherlands, Zandvoort and Zeist

by Felix Warners » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:58 am

It is a Lage in the Saar. Although a lot of people bash on the 2003's I have had loads of good experiences with it.

This is what they say about the site on the Molitor website:

Niedermenniger Herrenberg: 4,5 ha
Our excursion to the Saar river. The heart of the Herrenberg is one of the top classical vineyard sites of the Saar region, by far the best in the side valley knwn as the Konzer Tälchen. Wonderful finely granulated slate with fine soil particles, not too dry, with a medium to steep slope facing south. Very fresh, lively, filigree wines with mineral notes, fruit and body – and always just a hint more acidity than our Mosel wines.
"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:24 am

There are many good 2003s. That a 2003 from the Saar was enjoyable does not surprise me.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:18 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:There are many good 2003s..

Different situation entirely but I had a taste of the 03 Pradeaux today and it was not at all extreme. Sure a little ripe and evolved in the flavors, but relatively composed in the structure.

Back to riesling it is nice to see a positive note on Molitor. I haven't known what to make of them.