The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 inexpensive (I assume) Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2 inexpensive (I assume) Bordeaux

by Dale Williams » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:55 pm

We went to dinner at the new home of a violist friend of Betsy's, joined by Sue's luthier (not sure I've ever used that word in a TN before). Assorted cheeses, tilapia, spaghetti with red sauce, and two Bordeaux:

1998 Ch. Clos Magne Figeac (St Emilion)
A little barnyard, touch of earth, but mostly rather flat/tired black plum fruit. Not particularly acidic, but what acids there are seem unintegrated. A little green pepper, surprising for a '98 Right Banker. Actually revives a bit with air, shows some tobacco and livelier fruit, but mostly uninteresting. C+/B-

2001 Ch. Greysac (Medoc)
Well, here's a surprise. I didn't expect much here, but this is a fairly solid bottle of Bdx. Midweight, black plums and currants, a distinct note of pencil shavings and a touch of smoke. Light integrated tannins, enough acids to keep the fruit lively, decent length. I'd happily have this on my dinner table. B

Good night, though some of the classical music gossip went over my head (as did extended discussions on sound post adjustments and the market for antique bows and Amatis, etc).

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2 inexpensive (I assume) Bordeaux

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:46 pm

When I see a bottle of Greysac fro ma decent or better vintage open at a party I immediately head for it. I'm never woed, but it's always been a good drink (at least since I started caring about Bordeaux).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:09 pm

Greysac is the kind of inexpensive Bordeaux that costs as much as a Chilean clone, making the latter unnecessary...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:06 am

Dale Williams wrote:We went to dinner at the new home of a violist friend of Betsy's, joined by Sue's luthier (not sure I've ever used that word in a TN before). Assorted cheeses, tilapia, spaghetti with red sauce, and two Bordeaux:

1998 Ch. Clos Magne Figeac (St Emilion)
A little barnyard, touch of earth, but mostly rather flat/tired black plum fruit. Not particularly acidic, but what acids there are seem unintegrated. A little green pepper, surprising for a '98 Right Banker. Actually revives a bit with air, shows some tobacco and livelier fruit, but mostly uninteresting. C+/B-

2001 Ch. Greysac (Medoc)
Well, here's a surprise. I didn't expect much here, but this is a fairly solid bottle of Bdx. Midweight, black plums and currants, a distinct note of pencil shavings and a touch of smoke. Light integrated tannins, enough acids to keep the fruit lively, decent length. I'd happily have this on my dinner table. B

Good night, though some of the classical music gossip went over my head (as did extended discussions on sound post adjustments and the market for antique bows and Amatis, etc).

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

What a surprise about the Greysac. There's still some of the 01 around town--I'll grab one next time I see it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:08 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Greysac is the kind of inexpensive Bordeaux that costs as much as a Chilean clone, making the latter unnecessary...

You know, if I'd read this note a week ago, your offhand comment could have caused me to use the Greysac as a ringer in my Chilean tasting. Would have been more interesting than the Viu Manent....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:14 pm

I've generally found Greysac solid, but more in a drink soon mode (although I've had the '90 twice in the last 3 years, from different sources,and it was solid). I was just thinking that in this case it might be a bit awkward at 7, and besides I think '01 favored Right. But it was nice, for its assumed price.