The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Fr. Haag, White Hermitage and Ben Rotter's wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Fr. Haag, White Hermitage and Ben Rotter's wines

by Saina » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:04 pm

This was a weekend of uncommon extravagance!

With my tastes for wines with high acidity, minerality and a generally elegant outlook, it is rather surprising that I have lately had some interest in white Rhones. M. Chapoutier Hermitage Blanc Chante-Alouette 2004 was quite a sensational match with a soup of Jerusalem Artichokes and smoked reindeer though I was worried that the texture of soup will not work with wines. 100% Marsanne; 14,5% abv; 50,10€. Light gold. The nose is quite closed: some marzipan, nuts and peach - very attractive scent on the savoury rather than the sweet side. Very rich and oily in texture, low in acid but strangely enough stays together and is actually moreish. Extremely long, oily and nutty aftertaste. Sadly the alcohol does stick out a bit, though otherwise it is a very interesting wine. I sometimes have issues with oak and Chapoutier, but not in this one though apparently a third of the wood is new!

Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese 2005 (AP 25770500606; 7,5% abv) was a nice, weighty wine with still lots of fat - a sunny style but pure. The structure is showing better than in previous tastes. I think this will turn out nice.

Forumite Ben Rotter kindly sent a couple Rhubarb wines that I tried with szechuan chicken which I think is a very good food for these wines. The Passionvale Sweet Mayfield Vegetal 2007 was indeed vegetal, slightly bitter, small touch of jalopeño - quite a mute nose but interesting. Slightly sweet, enough acid to keep it clean and refreshing, vegetal/earthy aftertaste. Nice!

Passionvale Sweet Mayfield Oxidised 2007 was earthy, dried apples - rather reminds me of some ciders. It is pétillant, quite tannic (?)/good grip, finishes dry and mineral. Very pleasant. I think Ben is making some really great fruit wines!

-Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Fr. Haag, White Hermitage and Ben Rotter's wines

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:42 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Forumite Ben Rotter kindly sent a couple Rhubarb wines that I tried with szechuan chicken which I think is a very good food for these wines.

I can sort of see that. I suppose it all depends on the strength of the sichuan peppercorns but the rhubarb's earthy, bitter, yet sweet flavors do seem relevant.

What was the alcohol percentage on these wines?
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

by Ben Rotter » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:06 am

Glad you enjoyed them Otto. I have not tried the Rhubarbs with Szechuan food yet, but have very much enjoyed the Gooseberry with it. How do the combos compare?

Rahsaan wrote:What was the alcohol percentage on these wines?

They're in the 11-12% range.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:00 am

Did I miss something? Was yesterday 'open a Fritz Haag Auslese' day?

I cannot keep up with all these European holidays. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Felix Warners

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:55 pm

Netherlands, Zandvoort and Zeist

by Felix Warners » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:22 am

Life ain't easy here in Europe David.
"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:47 pm

Ben Rotter wrote:Glad you enjoyed them Otto. I have not tried the Rhubarbs with Szechuan food yet, but have very much enjoyed the Gooseberry with it. How do the combos compare?

I liked the way the combination of acid, moderately low alcohol and sweetness coped with the heat. I think the white fruit aromas brought more of a contrast to the pepper than the gooseberry did, but structurally, I think they work on a similar idea. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the combination if you try it!

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.