The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Santa Ynez wine tasting- Koehler Winery

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Jacobs

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:17 am

Santa Ynez wine tasting- Koehler Winery

by Mike Jacobs » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:58 am

On this trip we stopped at Firestone, Fess Parker's, Koehler and Alisal Cellars (a wine bar/shop in Solvang with some nice wine tasting flights. They also have beer and sake flights).
This was our first visit to Koehler and it was the star of the trip. Everyone in our party were wonderfully surprised and excited by all the tasting selections.
My favorites-
* 2005 Magia Nera- A 33% Cabernet & 67% Sangiovese blend. Coffee, tar, clove and cedar on the nose deliciously give way to a luxuriant palate of red raspberry and clove. Balanced acidity and soft tannins. 2008 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition won Gold Best of Class.
* 2005 Syrah Estate- A blend of three clones grown here on the estate, this Syrah is ripe and focused, generous with its blackberry and white pepper aromas and flavors, which echo nicely on the firm finish. Robert Parker's Wine Advocate scored this wine 93 pts. (The Wine Advocate “… the structure and muscle of a great Hermitage from France’s Rhône Valley.”) now I liked this wine but I don't get this rating, I think I need to buy a bottle decant it and give it a real try at home.
* 2005 Pinot Noir Santa Barbara County- Beautiful strawberry and bing cherry notes on the nose yield to more developed earthiness, leather, vanilla and raspberry on the palate. It has soft tannins supported by bright acidity. 90 Points, Wine Enthusiast Magazine “With a lightly silky texture and dry finish, it’s quite an elegant sipper.”
* 2005 Pinot Noir Santa Rita Hills- This was my top pick of the day. Pinot for the connoisseur. Cherry, strawberry,cinnamon stick with a bit of barnyard and earthy notes on the nose introduce a palate of red fruits, nutmeg and pipe tobacco. Surprisingly laid back for a SRH, more reminiscent of a French style pinot.

I believe these wines are some of the first releases under new Koehler winemaker Chris Stanton. Stanton has outstanding credentials including his much heralded successes during his time as winemaker at Mayo Family Winery.

We brought home some of the Santa Barbara County and SRH Pinots, I wish I'd grabbed the Syrah too.
The winery cats are very cool and did I mention the Emu's?
http://the-wine-rack.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Santa Ynez wine tasting- Koehler Winery

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:02 am

Sounds like things were really flowing at Koehler. I might have to stop in on my next west coast swing.

What's the price point on these wines?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dick Bueker

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:19 pm

Harrisonburg, VA

by Dick Bueker » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:04 am

A friend of mine in NY state gets these. Tasted a few with him two years ago. They were OK to good and the price of what he had was good. The notes sounded like a step up from the ones I had.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:26 am

Timely post, Mike. I plan a visit to Santa Barbara County wineries in October of this year and will now be sure to include Koehler on my itinerary.
no avatar
User

Mike Jacobs

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:17 am

by Mike Jacobs » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:51 pm

The reds are in the mid-thirties with the SRH Pinot at $45, the whites run in the teens with the reserve Chard at $30.
The Syrah seems like a price-to-points deal- $32 for 93 pts.
http://the-wine-rack.blogspot.com