The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: some notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Felix Warners

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:55 pm

Netherlands, Zandvoort and Zeist

WTN: some notes

by Felix Warners » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:36 pm

Some wines I enjoyed today and yesterday :

2005 Vincent Dureauil-Janthial Rully 1er Cru “Molesme”
Nice yellow colour, this wine has a lovely nose. Fresh with some woody notes’, liquorice, citrus fruits. The taste is not what you hope for when you smell the wine. It has a searing acidity at the end which is not in good balance with the rest of the wine.

2004 Chateau Pierre-Bise Clos de Coulaine Savennieres
Golden yellow colour. A powerful and alcoholic nose, almonds are coming through. I like it better on the palate where it is quite soft and mouth filling with good length. A bit hot on the finish, there is some caramel in this wine combined with some ripe yellow fruit. This is a huge but soft wine, the alcohol is concerning me and with food this didn’t went to well. The sweet component in this wine was taken away by the food we had (duck with raspberries) and without this soft and “sweet” alcoholic mouth feel there is not much left to be enjoyed. I’m not sure about what I paid but it can’t be much more than 15Euros and the quality and the joy this bottle brings is still far above average.

1993 Zind-Humbrecht, Alsace Grand Cru Gewurstraminer Hengst:
Wow, what a nose. Lychee, floral notes, honey, loads of ripe yellow fruits.
In the mouth this was more challenging to like. I personallt liked it a lot but some other people around the table couldn’t appreciate it. For me this wine was very complex and combined this with a very high viscosity and great mouth feel. Loads of mango and litchi and almonds and just very typical gewürztraminer. It was a dry wine with some bitters at the end. I enjoyed this a lot.

2000 Chateau Musar:
Transparant red brownish colour. On the nose this smelled like an older Bordeaux but lighter somehow. Red currant I had very heavily, sambal ( I get this very often in older Bordeaux cabernet based) tobacco and cedar box. In the mouth this was a light to medium bodied wine. It was all over my mouth with some sweet notes and a lot of red and black fruits, quite a lot of acids which didn’t really bother me because there was a raisin component to balance the acids out.

2004 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese NR06:
Light yellow colour, some beautiful apricots, mango and citrus fruits are coming through. It is not giving a lot though and the reductive/sulphur notes are there too. In the mouth it has a lot of citrus fruits with some caramel, this is actually a light and very elegant wine. This wine show’s more citrus fruits and more freshness than the 2005 and 2006 vintage of this wine.
"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Re: WTN: some notes

by Jim Grow » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:17 pm

I was especially interested in the note on the ZH Gewurztraminer. I have a 1993 Dom. Weinbach Altenberg Gewurztraminer "Cuvee Lawrence" that I will open soon and I hope it is in as good a condition as yours.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: some notes

by Saina » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:34 pm

Thanks for the notes! I quite enjoyed the early bottles I had of the Bise Savennières, but the recent ones I tried were very advanced - so much so that I wondered if premature oxidation is happening on occasion outside of Burgundy!

I very much enjoyed the Musar 2000, but it is not a great vintage of the wine (try '99 for that!). I love the brightness and lift of the scent and - for Musar that is - the rather tannic profile. But some musaroholics have been very disappointed by the '00!

-Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.